my first accident

dustinbart

Well, finally happened. I've never had as much as a speeding ticket and this morning a lady decided to stop VERY short for a pedestrian who was about 10ft from the cross walk and I plowed into the back if her jeep. Pretty much folded my hood in half, shattered my grill, pushed my headlights way down and twisted the brace infront of the radiator. I was only going maybe 10-15 mph when I made impact and was able to drive the car home, no fluids leaking and no alignment issues I noticed. Seems to be all cosmetic as my car fires right up, holds a steady idle and shifts through gears like normal and drives straight on the road. But boy am I salty about the situation. Luckily i have another st165(my build) I can rob parts from for the time being. Anyways I'll upload pictures later but if there is anything I should look for or pay attention to let me know. Hope your day is going better than mine.
Dustin :cry:

toayoztan

Yeah I never trust other drivers. I guarantee it wasn't stupidity as much as it was her being distracted by some dumb shit (texting on phone, etc), then she suddenly looked up, got spooked, and slammed the brakes. I see it happen all the time. If the person was paying attention, they would have never slammed the brake.

Hope you get the thing back up in shape!

Bryan

88gt4DE

Sucks man ... I would :cry: Good luck with the repair. Gotta find a scrap 6th gen ... the bumper cover though is almost impossible to find ...

darthripley

toayoztan":22d1frjk said:
Yeah I never trust other drivers. I guarantee it wasn't stupidity as much as it was her being distracted by some dumb shit (texting on phone, etc), then she suddenly looked up, got spooked, and slammed the brakes. I see it happen all the time. If the person was paying attention, they would have never slammed the brake.

+1 to that.

the first accident i ever had was almost the exact same thing, so don't be too hard on yourself.
you'll get the car all fixed up again. sounds like there isn't any frame damage so you can just replace all the parts like the headlight housings, grille etc & she'll be back to 100% again.

killemalltrac

Could be worse.. This is my first SC300 manual... first beautiful car I destroyed. Do you have photos of your accident?

DSC04174.jpg

88gt4DE

soarinhigh":211eyxgp said:
Could be worse.. This is my first SC300 manual... first beautiful car I destroyed. Do you have photos of your accident?

DSC04174.jpg

Jesus man ... yer lucky you came out of that one ok ... looks like a hell of a hit :shock:

killemalltrac

88gt4DE":3eozs5v1 said:
soarinhigh":3eozs5v1 said:

Jesus man ... yer lucky you came out of that one ok ... looks like a hell of a hit :shock:

Yeah... lol I left the road about 110 and then hit a tree at 85 mph. Faastest stop I've ever experienced. :bangshead: :bangshead:

dustinbart

Sorry, I've been busy and haven't check the forum recently. Being that I'm a student and broke I needed the fastest and cheapest fix I could muster(until I have time and money for a proper fix). So I was in and out of the shop within a few hrs so I could rush back to school and get work done.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In this picture you can see the brace in front of the radiator is twisted and the radiator is pushed back

I was in such a rush I didn't take any pics of the twisted and pushed in brace when I finally got the hood open but this is a pic of how straight I got it. This is on the top of my list to fix in the spring, does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any way to take this piece off besides a torch?

The Fix

The driver side headlight assembly must have gotten bent down a bit. I tried to pull it up as much as I could but I still have a decent size gap between the hood and light. The whole assembly will also be replaced this spring once I figure out what I'll do about the brace infront of the radiator.

Also, just noticed this. It isn't completely pinched off and doesnt leak, will the restriction be very harmful? or is it something I can let ride until I have time to do a proper fix?

killemalltrac

I don't have my car yet so I cant check if it bolts in but the part, (upper tie bar) new from the dealership, is only 70 bucks. I'm sure that line is like 10. If it bolts in it should be really quick and easy.
dealer link

88gt4DE

If yer talking about the radiator support , I'm sure its a weld in deal like most other cars. Not too bad though . missed the bumper for the most part so thats good :)

dustinbart

soarinhigh":1ewpok2z said:
I don't have my car yet so I cant check if it bolts in but the part, (upper tie bar) new from the dealership, is only 70 bucks. I'm sure that line is like 10. If it bolts in it should be really quick and easy.
dealer link

Thanks for the info and link to pick up the upper tie bar, i'll certainly be using it cone spring!

88gt4DE":1ewpok2z said:
If yer talking about the radiator support , I'm sure its a weld in deal like most other cars. Not too bad though . missed the bumper for the most part so thats good :)

Would I be voliating the all trac for the worse by cutting it out and welding in a replacement? I think if i take my time I'll be able to fit it like new.
Thanks,
Dustin

celicat93

Sorry, but you were following too close or not paying attention. That's why the person who hits from behind is ALWAYS ticketed and deemed At Fault. I brake check people who are filling up too much of my rear view mirror for this very reason.

dustinbart

celicat93":3dmrckc9 said:
Sorry, but you were following too close or not paying attention. That's why the person who hits from behind is ALWAYS ticketed and deemed At Fault. I brake check people who are filling up too much of my rear view mirror for this very reason.

lol thanks for the support...Anyways, not true. Although technically I am at fault on the insurance end because any rear ending is I was not ticketed. The person I hit told the officer I was not speeding or following too close but it was because of the sudden stop of the vehicle in front of them. We exchanged info but the damage was so minimal to their vehicle I don't think they cared to follow up. I haven't heard anything yet and its been a week.

killemalltrac

dustinbart":2sg0gxbu said:
Would I be voliating the all trac for the worse by cutting it out and welding in a replacement? I think if i take my time I'll be able to fit it like new.
Thanks,
Dustin
Well now that all depends... Are you good at welding? If it is a weld in part then that is how its meant to be done. Otherwise buy a whole new radiator support and replace it. Still not very expensive. I rebuilt my SC300 (not the one pictured) and the radiator support only took me about an hour to R&I.