Simple question 3sge and 3sgte

UtahSleeper

So, simple question to make sure I remember this right.

Both 1st gen 3sge and 3sgte are the same motor, minus the cams and valve covers correct? Asking cause I may be able to score a cheap 3sge

brutekiller787

in essense yes. more than cams and valvecovers though. intake manifold (ge is better), pistons, oil squirters are the main differences. i'm sure something about the oil and cooling systems are different too as they have to go to the turbo in the gte

Mafix

oil cooler/cylinder head (all but the combustion chamber)/oil squirters/compression ratio.

that said 90% of the stuff will work

UtahSleeper

So, some questions for the knowledgable.

Here is the 3sge I got for trade recently. Outside is clean. Story is that one of the PO's bought it in the 90's and it sat since then. The PO also said the had swapped out the head for the turbo head. Not sure on any of this. How would one tell if it had the turbo head or stock? Or was the only difference cams?
004.JPG

Here is the intake valves.
002.JPG

The closed whole here, could that be used for a knock sensor or is it too low? Where would you mount one?
003.JPG

On a 3sge, what would need to be changed to make it suitable for turbo? Looking to make it useable as a winter fun car with minimal power gains. Probably stock ish build, but ran by a MS. I plan on opening the motor soon and seeing what I have, but trying to also research my options.

Thanks.

Rpz123isme

The path for fuel is not the same. The gte uses a y shaped path. The block needs milled to fit the trans. Its not plasable to do oil squirters, no banjo for turbo oil feed, but if you use a ge let me know if you need help i have a ge block and head in my trac with hyperutectic ge pistons, a custome made crank running low 11s on pump gas. I call it a 4sgte :). Best part is the ge head does not stress crack! And the ge cams with tight clearance is super close to the same diration at .050 as the hks cams its not even funny. Just need .002 taken fron the bottom of the lobe to get a nice lift.

UtahSleeper

I am considering using the ge block I have in the pic, or just rebuilding the motor in the car. Either way, its work.

Would the third pic be good for a knock sensor? How much needs to be milled? Would the stock pistons be ok to use, or am I better off getting other pistons?

It was your build rpz that made me decide to pick up the motor for use, just need to see how much work I need to do to try and use it. Trying to keep budget down though so I can realistically have it running before summer ends, and the car still needs other things done lol.

Rpz123isme

Ok the ge and gte pistons, rods, and bearings are the same, the 3sfe block casting is the same as the gte, just with out machine work done. The ge head is the same minus one water bridge and Y shaped injector path. With minor port work and some research the ge motor will make gte power. Just text me if you have questions. Ill pm u my number!

UtahSleeper

So, when you take apart an engine is it no questions asked that you replace all bearings? A motor I am starting to pull apart has rust on the crank and little places, so I will be taking the whole thing apart, cleaning and such.......as soon as I learn what all will be needed to fill the such role lol. This is all new shit for me.

UtahSleeper

Bump.

Also, how do you remove the rear main seal/holder thing? I removed all the bolts, but cant get it past the end of the crank. The seal seems to be stopping me.