Tips from personal experience on doing a ST165 Clutch??

Anoo21

I will be tackling the god forsaken job of changing out a clutch on my ST165 this next weekend :doh: and was wondering from other members personal experiences that the BGB does not cover what should I do in certain situations of doing this job. I do have the BGB and been doing constant research on the board about putting the transmission back onto the block but anything else? Replies are greatly appreciated in advanced. Thanks

Awesome-Trac

It's a pretty big challenge if your doing it on your own but overall ok, u might need to figure out which technique u want to use to install the trans back in

Anoo21

Thanks, I have been accruing all the tools needed and I am thinking the missile silo method. My friends are helping so it is not just me, which is good. The only thing they do not know is that they are in for a wild ride ha 8)

gearhead313

Ive never followed the BGB and i've dont it probably 3 or 4 times now. I have no idea what teh silo method is either! Its all about getting the motor or trans in a 100% fixed location and having the other positioned in such a way that it can be moved without great force. The more precise its lined up, the easier it will be. Just remember, you can never FORCE them together, trust me lined up correctly and it will slide in like butter.

88gt4DE

I've " heard " that this can be done without pulling the motor at same time. Personally only doing them myself with motor out I doubt I would waste timing trying to figure it out and just drop both and split motor and trans. Just think its easier anyway since it really doesnt take long with a couple people to get them both out .... 8) Good luck with the project ..

Anoo21

I am gonna be pulling the motor and transmission out. How long do you think it should take if I start on a Friday morning and go throughout the weekend?

88gt4DE

If you move at a decent pace you should have motor/trans out and on floor in 3 hours at most really ... Think I had mine out in under 3 with just me and my brother. We went out the top ... Trans split and clutch prol a couple hours. Going back in and reassembly prol 4 hours. I would say you should be done by sat mid day ...

Anoo21

Sounds like a plan. I will take pictures and let everyone know how it goes. Leave the subframe bolted onto the engine still or unbolt it?

RallyX-GT4

I will be watching this carefully as well. I know that this figures into my not-too-distant future. In for plenty of pics : )

Anoo21

I will be going out the bottom and putting it back in the bottom. I feel a lot more comfortable doing it that way. Just bought some final things today to get ready, I will try to take many pictures. I have to go into work this friday and saturday but will be doing everything after work both days and all day sunday. I will keep everyone posted. thanks

Awesome-Trac

Be careful when removing and installing from below, really tight space and requires a lot of wiggling and shifting unless you remove some of the suspension which I didn't but either way a tough job
Good luck and hopefully you will keep us posted because if yours goes well then I'm pretty sure I did something wrong :doh:

MrDB

Done it both ways and dropping engine out is a lot easier. Take the power steering pump of but leave lines on and cable tie it out the way. Day and a half will have it done unless you have problems undoing bolts etc.

Killtodie

I did this a few months ago, I did NOT remove the engine and was able to manhandle the transmission back in place in about 2 hours.

You WILL need 2 jacks and a friend to help.

This is also a great time to replace the engine mounts.

Drain the trans, remove everything you need to get to it, battery, air box, etc.
Jackup the car as high as you can. Keep it level, so all 4 corners.
Remove the entire front suspension. Much easier.
Pull out the halfshafts, replace boots if needed. Dont take them apart if you dont have to, getting the bearings back into the cage is a PITA.

Taking the trans down is not hard, rent a trans jack if you can or use a large flat piece of wood to support it, make sure this piece is attached to the jack well so it wont fall off.

Putting it back takes a lot of finessing, but it will go in. For this you will need two jacks and a friend. One to raise it, one to angle it. The hard part is aligning the spindle blindly and getting the transfer box to clear the block. When it seems like its in the correct position, give the trans a good push/kick towards the engine and if everything is good, it will slip on the spindle and towards the block. You can use the bolts to pull it in the last 2 inches or so.

Anoo21

Thanks for all the tips guys. I really appreciate it especially the power steering pump and lines. I was wondering how that would go.

Rick89GTS

Killtodie":3m0xi349 said:
I did this a few months ago, I did NOT remove the engine and was able to manhandle the transmission back in place in about 2 hours.....
Much praise! :notworthy:

Anoo21

Update 03/15/13 engine is out took 5 and a half hours with a pizza break. Pictures will be up later this weekend. Drop it out the bottom and did not run into any problems, just took it at a steady pace. Did not want to forget anything, ery pleased with the result I do have to say my engine bay was extremely dirty but will be cleaned before the engine gets put back in :wink: lol. Thanks again guys.