How much effort and cost goes into making an st185 fast?

General Chat

Re: How much effort and cost goes into making an st185 fast?

Postby gtfourmansd » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:50 pm

underscore wrote:If you're worried about swapping a 3S then I don't think you'd be able to push any platform much past stock unless you don't mind paying a shop to do the work, or if you're willing to push outside of your comfort zone. In the end it's all just nuts and bolts with a bit of wire here and there, a 5SFE doesn't have a lot of aftermarket support but the 3SGTE does, if you're worried about power there are members here making 1000AWHP+

I was talking about when i was first starting out. That was 8 years ago. Since then i have owned 3 turbo charged cars and have learned alot about what i want from a car and what it takes to make that happen. For instance I never go into gigantic builds because of the smog laws out here. I dont have connections for the non legal kind of smogs so ive never bothered. If it is something i really want and i just cant do it myself i have no problem paying a shop for it that is one of the perks of not having a car payment to begin with i can collect money for something like that. But if its something i have the room to do and the tools to do it with i enjoy taking a weekend to do it.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
gtfourmansd
Club Member

Postby psipwrd » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:42 am

It just so happens I owned a 2g Talon TSI AWD and 2.0 WRX before the Alltrac. I can honestly say they all cost equally as much to make fast. The only reason the Alltrac is costing slightly more is because of the added insurance going into the build. Also, all three are pretty close in weight, 3100-3200 lbs. The Alltrac may have been heavy for it's time, but not by today's standards.

The Talon needed a engine swap before I was safely making over 300 awhp. It was a year of nonstop modding and maintenance before it got totaled. Lot of money in a short period of time with not much return. Lets say it was a learning experience.

The WRX spun a rod bearing at around 280awhp...like they all do. It took a STI shortblock swap (cheaper than rebuild)to reliably make over 300awhp with the stock STI turbo. This was my daily driver for 7 years, and it was well taken care of. 3 weeks after I sold it, the new owner destroyed 2nd gear. It's well known that the 02 tranny couldn't handle much torque.

The Evo 8/9 is a beast. All you need is fuel, injectors, turbo kit and remap (stock ECU) as bare minimum to make 500-600 awhp. Bigger radiator/FMIC, braided lines make it more reliable. That's so easy that fast Evos are a dime a dozen. But if you make more than 500 ft lbs before 5000 rpms, your tranny's done.

Point is, pick your platform, read up on it, learn what you can and can't deal with, and go from there. When you get the car where you want it to be, it should be well worth it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-Four CS (#4025)
psipwrd
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby underscore » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:32 pm

What does an Evo 8/9 cost though?
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby psipwrd » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:26 pm

10x what i paid for the alltrac!
1992 Toyota Celica GT-Four CS (#4025)
psipwrd
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby underscore » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:33 am

Yeah I just looked at a few in my area, it'd be over double what I currently have into my car to get a stock one.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Previous

Return to Club Chat