Picked up a clean camry alltrac

General Chat

Picked up a clean camry alltrac

Postby TDISyncro » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:40 am

Project sold. Thanks for the help you all.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by TDISyncro on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TDISyncro

Re: Picked up a clean camry alltrac

Postby killemalltrac » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:36 am

That's rad, I would love to get an alltrac Camry. I am also a huge fan of the VWs. I generally prefer them older tho. I had a 77 westfalia for my first car... And I'm from Oregon haha!!
#80sMurderCar
My build -- http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=47568
Parts for sale -- http://www.80smurdercar.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html
killemalltrac
Club Member

Postby GT4_DRED » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:14 pm

soarinhigh wrote:That's rad, I would love to get an alltrac Camry. I am also a huge fan of the VWs. I generally prefer them older tho. I had a 77 westfalia for my first car... And I'm from Oregon haha!!

Welcome! There has been quite a bit of Camry Alltrac attention in here lately. I'm fan of the VWs as well and will eventually get around to swapping a syncro 4wd system from a b4 passat into a corrado or use the syncro rear assembly to house a ford 8.8 diff and go rwd. Sooo many projects.. :doh:
'00 SC300 - "The long way home" daily driver
'88 ST165 - project "Rahtid"
'88 ST165 - Project "Supah Cyat"
'91 MR2
'93 Corrado SLC - "Purple Haze"
GT4_DRED
Club Member

Postby Street_Chally73 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:13 am

The clutch master can still be the culprit, even though it's not showing any signs of leaking...when mine went out on my old Corolla, there wasn't any visible leaking from the engine bay. However, you could see moisture on the clutch rod boot underneath the dash.

I figured it was the clutch because the car had around 150-160,000 on the original clutch, but much to my amazement the clutch still looked to be in good shape (ended up swapping it out just for piece of mind even though we later figured out it was just the damn master cylinder).

GL!!
Street_Chally73
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby TDISyncro » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:19 am

Thanks for the replies. Glad to see a little love for the dub around here. I'm a lover of all cars. I bled the system out and had no air bubbles. The slave seems to move its entire throw but I can't me sure of that as I don't have a repair manual for it yet. (any recommendations on manuals for these)

It's very strange. Sometimes I can get into first with no problems and other times its almost impossible to get in to without shutting the car off. We just got a foot of snow so I have not been able too look at it in depth yet. Do these cars have an adjustment on the clutch peddle itself ? I may throw a new clutch at it for preventative maintenance but I'm not 100% convinced its the problem.

Thanks

Dave
TDISyncro

Postby underscore » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:37 am

Does the clutch seem to stick more when it's really cold, and then fix itself once the engine has been hot for a while and everything has soaked up a bit of heat, or once it stops working it doesn't work for a while?
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby ___Scott___ » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:32 am

TDISyncro wrote:(any recommendations on manuals for these)

There are a few sites that have the Toyota repair manuals (a.k.a. BGB = Big Green Book) available. Gary has some good info in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29333&p=404736&hilit=bgb+online#p404736
Scott
Colorado Springs, CO - USA
SONY
Opera - The better browser
___Scott___
Established Member

Postby Street_Chally73 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:38 am

It almost sounds like what I had with my Stealth. I'd bleed the hydraulic system, let it sit for a couple days, & then I could shift into all of the gears again with the engine running.

A couple more days later it would lock me out again, I'd let it sit for a while, & could eventually be able to get into a couple gears with the engine running before getting completely locked out.

I finally bit the bullet & dug deeper into the transaxle (figured it was a physical clutch malfunction from the start, but kept taking people's advice & did the easier things first)...Turns out one of the spring perches on the sprung disc had broken off & was affecting the disengagement every time it fell into the wrong spot (it was an OEM Exedy clutch assembly & the P.O. had receipts showing it was replaced ~12k miles ago)).

I'm not too sure how often that happens with the OEM discs on these cars, but perhaps that could be your issue, too.
Street_Chally73
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby TDISyncro » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:55 am

Underscore it does not seem to matter whether its been run a while or is cold. I drove it over an hour when I purchased it and it still had the same symptoms when I got home. One other thing I should mention is that I can't get the clutch to slip at all in any gear...even trying.

Scott Thanks for the info on the manuals

Very interesting Street chally. I've never heard of that happening before but it makes total sense....I bet hard as hell to diagnose as well.

Is Aisin a good brand of clutch ? I can get one on Amazon right now for the All trac for $113 shipped. I usually run Sachs clutches on my VW's but I was told to run an OEM clutch on a yota and from what research I've done I believe they make clutches for Toyota.

Its been in the twentys here but I'm hoping to get it into my friends garage next weekend. I have pulled dozens of transmissions on jettas/ golfs etc...easy peezy. Are these very difficult?

Thanks for the help

Dave
TDISyncro

Postby phattyduck » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Trans and engine must be dropped together. Not an easy task. Aisin or Exedy will be your best bet for OEM-type clutches. See the 'drivetrain' section for trans-engine re-assembly.

I own two Camry Alltracs (one swapped with a 3s-gte, one waiting a BEAMS swap (NA, 200hp, 2.0L). Both rust-free California cars (VERY rare).

You can also fine more Camry specific info on the Camry sub-forum of Toyotanation (where I spend most of my forum time).

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby Street_Chally73 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Yeah, I never really thought that I'd find a chunk of metal beating the crap out of the flywheel, clutch, & pressure plate when I pulled it apart.

Apparently we cannot post photos to the forum anymore with Tapatalk...bummer 'cause I found a couple photos of the carnage.
Street_Chally73
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby de_engineered » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:01 am

Sweet. I got a Camry All Trac recently too, same burgundy color. Welcome to the fold!
de_engineered
Club Member

Postby TDISyncro » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:26 am

Thanks for the info. A mechanic I know swears up and down I can remove a 4cyl manual transmission without pulling the engine/trans together...although its easier if you remove the subframe....but he says that that is not even totally necessary. Does that sound doable ? I'm still waiting on a manual I got off Ebay. Thanks
TDISyncro

Postby dusty » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:46 pm

welcome, I still have a Camry alltrac too, 1989 auto that I have raced, not as good looking as yours...lol
ice racing an alltrac in SS4
goal - pass Subaru's
dusty
Club Member

Postby phattyduck » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:37 pm

The FWD transmissions (Whether 4-cyl or V6) pop right off. The Alltrac transmission requires engine removal due to the transfer case.

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Next

Return to Club Chat