Picked up a clean camry alltrac

General Chat

Re: Picked up a clean camry alltrac

Postby zero06 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:28 pm

here is what you do: sell the car to me!
I had one of these as my first car, but mine was unsaveably rusted :(
camry alltrac 5 speed sedan = my dream car
don't ask

If you ever need to find it a home HMU
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
1991 White st185 eternal project
2006 Silver Metallic RX8 6 Speed Daily (until alltrac is done if ever)
1976 Copper Metallic Ford Gran Torino Restomod Muscle-Boat
zero06
Club Member

Postby de_engineered » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:38 pm

zero06 wrote:camry alltrac 5 speed sedan = my dream car

That is a dream not merely accepted, but encouraged here. And me too btw.
de_engineered
Club Member

Postby TDISyncro » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks, That makes total sense. I have not been able to crawl underneath it yet with all the snow around it. I am driving it down to Carson City next weekend to use a friends shop space and cherry picker. I will post some pictures of the carnage. I'm grabbing some studded winterforce tires from tirerack this week. I take it 185 70 14 is the stock size. Anyone know if I can step it up a size without modifications ?

I can't see myself selling this car. It was in Carson City its whole life so its super dry, no rusted bolts anywhere ! I'd really like to figure out a way to run a 1.9TDI engine in one of these..50 MPG and AWD....mmmmmmm.

Thanks
TDISyncro

Postby CSAlltrac » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:22 am

Awesome find you got your hands on. All the work of getting her tip top will be worth it. If you end up doing the clutch it will be WAY easier to remove engine and trans. as a unit. It will drop from the bottom not out the top, the AWD provides for some fun challenges when working on it. You could also try an extended slave cyl. to see if that will "band aid" cure it till winter passes.
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby TDISyncro » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:36 am

CSAlltrac wrote: You could also try an extended slave cyl. to see if that will "band aid" cure it till winter passes.
Thanks, I wasn't aware how rare these cars are until I got it home. I really want to clean it up and just enjoy it as is for now. The slave isn't threaded/ adjustable is it ? Are you saying I could possibly make an extension for it ? If I could get a few more weeks out of it that would be awesome....my friend is currently doing two engine swaps into Toyota trucks in his shop and I feel bad pushing his shit out of the way to work on this right away.
TDISyncro

Postby CSAlltrac » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:17 am

Its going to be a shaft that you completely replace with an aftermarket unit. Would be an easy install and cheap. Im pretty sure the ones offered for the CelicaAT/MR2 will work just fine for the Camry, Pretty common slave design.
http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info ... cts_id=805
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby phattyduck » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:49 pm

The correct dream car (well, daily driver) is the the ST205/Camry Alltrac hybrid:

:D

185/70-14 is the stock tire size. You can easily do a 195 for a bit more ground clearance. My white Alltrac has 205/60-14's (or is it 65?) on it, but I can't verify that is good with clearances as I haven't really driven that one (though the previous owner put many Sierra snow miles on those tires). There's not a ton of extra room in the wheel wells, but you should have room for a bit more tire at stock height.

Expect to get 20-26mpg in the mountains with a good-running Camry Alltrac (the regular FWD 5-speed is a 30mpg+ car...).

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby TDISyncro » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Amazing car Charlie ! Thanks for the info on the tires. I am putting together an order right now. Already got the Aisin clutch. I'm thinking rear main seal and input shaft for the transmission while I'm in there. I will be doing a complete tune up as well...anything else you can think of while I'm in there ? Anyone have the part # for the input shaft seal ? Thanks

Also, am I reading correctly the 4cyls take ATF Dexron III in the manual transmissions ?
TDISyncro

Postby phattyduck » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:50 pm

The transmission input shaft seal requires complete disassembly of the transmission and generally doesn't leak. You shouldn't need to worry about it. Rear main is a good idea while you are in there. Oh, and use thread sealant on the (new!) flywheel bolts - they are through-drilled into the crankcase and require sealant.

FWD 4-cylinder trans uses Dexron II+ fluid, same as all the FWD autos. The 6-cylinder manual uses GL-4 gear oil. The Alltrac manual trans requires GL-5 gear oil. The Alltrac Auto requires Toyota Type T-VI fluid. Drain with both drain plugs, fill on the front of the trans until fluid comes back out. Expect to use 4-5 quarts, regular non-synthetic is probably your best bet to keep the synchros happy.

Use OEM or NGK ignition components - all others are inferior. Check the ignition coil for crack (located inside the distributor) and replace if you fine anything. The engine is non-interference, so don't freak out about the timing belt. Check all the bushings in the front suspension. The front control arm to swaybar bushings are probably shot - get a set of new loaded control arms on eBay for a good price. If you have clunking in the rear, check the rear diff mount (back side) and the lateral link outer bushings - both of those are the same parts as the Celica Alltrac. Plan on replacing the axle seals and the rear output seal since you are dropping the transmission.

Good luck dealing with the cold. I hate working on cars if its below about 50*F. :D

-Charlie
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby TDISyncro » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:21 am

Update: I have the car on jackstands and the engine/trans about 6 inches off the ground. I hope to separate them tomorrow. I hope the flywheel can be machined as it seems the all trac ones are different from the 2wds and no one has them in Stock locally.

Quick question. The exhaust looks good up to the first muffler but then hell from there on. Are these mufflers available aftermarket anywhere or will a muffler shop have to fab something up? I'd rather just bolt something on.

Thanks
TDISyncro

Postby phattyduck » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:43 pm

I've seen the pre-made exhaust parts on the normal parts store websites. Make sure you get the Alltrac version - the exhaust is 100% different from the main cat back.

If you do get the flywheel machined, make sure they do a good job - it has a stepped face and requires special machining.

There's a pretty good chance that a complete Celica Alltrac clutch/flywheel setup will work for you too. I wish I could confirm that 100% though. (if you have an 8-bolt flywheel, it is very likely to work)

-Charlie
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby TDISyncro » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:26 pm

Thanks for the info. Oreillys can special order the rear section of exhaust for $187. I can get the rear and mid section for under $200 shipped from partsgeek. I may just have a muffler shop fabricate something....well see.

Well. I can say without a doubt that was the hardest transmission removal I have ever done.....but I did it. When I got in there I found this....the broken pieces were causing two of the fingers to never release. Oreillys wanted $54 for a 2wd flywheel and $297 for an all trac one. Both plates were the same diameter and thickness but the all trac had a bit more surface area for the slightly larger clutch disc. I removed the dowels from the stock plate and had the plate machined down along with the step so I think it should work just fine. I will not be reassembling the car until next weekend. I'm stoked thats all it was.

Another question. The rear main seal looks incredibly clean with not even the slightest sign of seeping. Should I leave it alone ?

TDISyncro

Postby CSAlltrac » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:18 pm

TDISyncro wrote:
Another question. The rear main seal looks incredibly clean with not even the slightest sign of seeping. Should I leave it alone ?

I would not touch it if its clean, despite what some may say, the factory assembly is supior to anything else. Just be sure to thread seal/locktite flywheel bolts. I would also advise against doing a FWD flywheel. It could work and if you go that route I hope you prove me wrong but its a ton of work to get in there, would be a shame to have to do it twice over a bit of cash. I've been there, it can break a man down.
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby TDISyncro » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:27 am

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was not very clear above. I ended up having the stock all trac flywheel (mine was 8 bolt) machined....not the 2wd one. I bought some thread sealant for the flywheel bolts, do you add loctite on top of this ? Thanks
TDISyncro

Postby CSAlltrac » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:39 am

I read it as you modifying a FWD fly, glad you're not. I've always done thread sealant with locktite behind it with some space between the two. Have never had issues
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to Club Chat