Proper car storage??

General Chat

Proper car storage??

Postby ST165Sleeper » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Hey guys, sadly enough I'm gearing up for my first deployment this year and I'll be gone for about a year. I'd like to be able to store my car out of the weather while I'm gone and as I trust very few people to drive my car, I need some help with proper storage techniques and practices. I plan to overhaul the car and finally do my complete build and repaint the car when i get back. I'd just like to be able to come home hop in the car and drive it when i get home.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
ST165Sleeper
Club Member

Re: Proper car storage??

Postby sinerasis » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:42 pm

Before you leave:
-change as many fluids as you can and refill on the full side of everything
-full tank of fresh gas with stabilizer
-remove battery
-take wheels off (put car on jack stands, deflate tires so they hold their shape but are squishy)
-flip the wipers up (or put a towel between the rubber and the glass)
-wash and wax the paint
-put a rag in the tailpipe (clog any little place you can find that a little animal might enjoy, drop some mothballs around car)
-take the spark plugs out and put some extra oil down the holes, loosely put the plugs back in
-write a note of all the things you did so you don't forget what you need to un-do when you get back

When you get back:
-change all the fluids again
-get new gas/drain the stuff that's been sitting
-battery
-remove rag in tailpipe (and other clogged holes)
-remove spark plugs and turn the motor over a couple times before re-installing plugs

...probably other things...
Jeff
1989 ST165 Black
sinerasis
Club Member

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby ST165Sleeper » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:12 pm

Thank you that will help me alot. not just to find a place to Store the car with little to no rodent issues and that stays dry.
ST165Sleeper
Club Member

Postby New Guy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:03 am

I've read that generic storage areas are good for that sort of thing (like what people use to store things that don't fit in the house/garage, not sure what the technical term is.)

They're almost always gated and you can put a really beefy lock on the door. If nobody knows there's a car in it they won't be tempted anyways.
Proud owner of an ESV220x.
New Guy
Club Member

Return to Club Chat