CT26 Turbo Blanket: anyone else have a blanket??

General Chat

Re: CT26 Turbo Blanket: anyone else have a blanket??

Postby Brad_91 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Ya you are right, the exhaust manifold is still an issue I guess. I have noticed the difference now that my heat shield is gone. I understand that the exhaust manifold can get just as hot as the turbo as well, as I've seen plenty of dyno pulls of race cars with glowing hot manifolds+turbos..

I don't know all that much about cars relative to most everyone on this forum, hence the constant questioning haha. I was told again by the previous owner of this that when installed can cover a bit of the exhaust manifold also. I have never seem one before so I will find out what it covers/ how well it works once it arrives. I'm curious to see if I can have this on with the heat shield at the same time. It's been a year that my heat shield's been removed and like I said, I noticed that my temps were getting higher. I will also be changing my coolant this spring which could very well my issue :shrug:

This spring I will be playing a bit with both my OEM heat shield (if I can find it in my pile of parts) as well as the turbo blanket.

P.S. I keep saying I'm waiting until spring, because even though it technically is, we just got 10 cm of snow yesterday where I live :bangshead:

Still waiting patiently for the damn snow to melt/ salt to wash off the roads!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Brad
1992 Celica GT-Four
~65'000km,
Mods: Turbo-back 3" Exhaust, 17x8 Versus Turismo Rims, Black Rally Armor Mud Flaps, turbo timer, manual boost controller, Whiteline rear swaybar!
Brad_91
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby athousandleaves » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Generally keeping all the heat inside the pipes makes for faster flowing gasses and possibly a more responsive turbo.

You shouldn't damage the turbo or anything with the blanket, I've seen some guys run them because all 3 of the heat shield mounting bolts snapped in the turbo/manifold.

Plus like Meenya said, the manifold is still exposed which will serve to cook your alternator and oil filter and paint. Wrapping the stock manifold is pretty much impossible to do tightly without gaps unless you have a tubular one that is easy to wrap.

Seeing as you're questioning your coolant quality you should grab one of those cheap coolant testers and check it out. If it looks rusty, oily or doesn't measure up then you know where to start. Also I believe the overflow bottle should have about 600ml of fluid in it to be at the MAX line.

Other ways to combat overheating would be to get a higher pressure rad cap, do a cooling system flush and also check that your temp sensors are still in spec.
1992 Red GT-FOUR RC 626•1800
1992 White turbo4WD
athousandleaves
Established Member

Postby Brad_91 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:38 pm

Thanks for the Input! I'll check out your link. I will be checking what I can do about the manifold too. I guess a ceramic coating would be the best route since, like you said, it would be hard to simply cover.. The car should be coming out soon!! :)
Brad
1992 Celica GT-Four
~65'000km,
Mods: Turbo-back 3" Exhaust, 17x8 Versus Turismo Rims, Black Rally Armor Mud Flaps, turbo timer, manual boost controller, Whiteline rear swaybar!
Brad_91
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Previous

Return to Club Chat