Why just why?

General Chat

Why just why?

Postby Droptop93 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:36 am

Why are alltrac's so ridiculously priced? I know the rarity of them and the prestigious past, but they are still a 20+ year old celica. I've found a what seems to be a clean 90 pretty close to me (few hours away) but I just can't justify the over $9k price for it as much as I want one, in what seems like a pretty much stock unmolested trac. .......help me
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Droptop93
Club Member

Re: Why just why?

Postby celicast184 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:35 am

that car is not gonna sell!! give it time, he'll eventually get tired of looking at it and will have to drop his price...
I <3 MY ST214
celicast184
Club Member

Postby Droptop93 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:13 pm

Yeah I doubt it I don't think he'll come down much if at all
Droptop93
Club Member

Postby r-town » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:07 pm

Here in SoCal I've seen Alltracs priced decently. Two months ago there was a pretty clean 1990 Alltrac for $3,500. However, there are others that are pricey but include a lot of mods and parts like this one:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4352056627.html
r-town
Club Member

Postby celicast184 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:52 pm

that red car belongs to tubasteve on this board!! super clean car!!!
I <3 MY ST214
celicast184
Club Member

Postby 1337computing » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:19 pm

There only going to get higher in price. (I Hope)
1990 Celica All-Trac Turbo ST185

3" Berk DP, 3" Straight Piped, Magnecor Wires, EBC+
1337computing
Club Member

Postby Droptop93 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Have they really reached the "collector's car" status?
Droptop93
Club Member

Postby ALLensTRAC » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:23 pm

Droptop93 wrote:Why are alltrac's so ridiculously priced? I know the rarity of them and the prestigious past, but they are still a 20+ year old celica. I've found a what seems to be a clean 90 pretty close to me (few hours away) but I just can't justify the over $9k price for it as much as I want one, in what seems like a pretty much stock unmolested trac. .......help me

Where have you been looking for one? All I see are cheap Tracs for sale. It seems like they continue to fall in price. 10k$ for Tubasteves car is a steal IMO!! That is probably rust free and under a 100k miles plus a mountain of alltrac parts. I ask why they aren't worth more!?!

When I started to look for my car I had found a clean well taken care of 1992 which was for sale on this board for 12k$ and a somewhat ratty 1992 in FL for 4500$. Both cars were black but the latter car had a built motor, big brakes, clean interior, KO turbo kit, and it was a Colorado/Arizona car it's entire life meaning no rust. It was in New York. The other car had rust issues, torn up seats, botched body repairs, etc. I began saving a lot of money per week and started to think I could buy the 12k one. Then life happened and I could no longer afford the clean one. I purchased the 92 from FL and began my project.....4 years later it is still in a thousand pieces from all the repairs I had to make on it. I have enough money in it to buy it 4 times over yet it's still not done.

Moral of the story: Get the cleanest one you can not afford and make it work somehow. I bet I'd be driving mine if it had been a 10-15k Trac. They're out there, owned by nut jobs like us, that have no problem dumping thousands into a car that rarely sells for 10k ever! One day somewhat soon they will be worth a whole lot more once Supra's and Mr2's become unattainable in value.
Allen

1992 Toyota Celica Alltrac "Never ending Project"
2014 Lexus CT200h Redline/Black "Daily project"
2006 Toyota Highlander Wifes daily
ALLensTRAC
Club Member

Postby lumbercis » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:31 am

Droptop93 wrote:Why are alltrac's so ridiculously priced? I know the rarity of them and the prestigious past, but they are still a 20+ year old celica. I've found a what seems to be a clean 90 pretty close to me (few hours away) but I just can't justify the over $9k price for it as much as I want one, in what seems like a pretty much stock unmolested trac. .......help me

If it's stock, low mileage, rust free and black for $9k tell me where it is and I'll buy it!

Otherwise I think the real problem with tracs is their condition, not their price. Ones in good condition almost don't exist. For any price. I think the few owners of clean ones realize this and over time you'll see the market for them bifurcate into ratted out examples for $3k or so and clean examples closer to $10k+.

I agree with ALLensTRAC.. buy the nicest one you can afford and keep it nice. I bought a "cheap project" thinking I would fix all the problems and while it's significantly better than when I bought it, I would have much rather put my money into something that was nice to begin with.
Caldina powered...
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby Droptop93 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:05 am

It appears completely bone stock not black though sorry, I'm still a waiting more pics, I will own one, hell may this one but unless I can beat him down on the price or just let it be for sale for quite a while and wait him out......

Also agree with the buying the best we can afford. I just don't realize how they can price em so far out sometimes
Droptop93
Club Member

Postby Droptop93 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:07 am

Haven't even really been looking persay but every once in a while I come a cross an intriguing for sale ad. Last one was a flop turn out to be a rusty pile of crap and a buddy of mine and I drove 5 hours there and 5 hours back and still only had my celica when we returned. Lol
Droptop93
Club Member

Postby FC Zach » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:43 am

ALLensTRAC wrote:
Droptop93 wrote:Moral of the story: Get the cleanest one you can not afford and make it work somehow. I bet I'd be driving mine if it had been a 10-15k Trac. They're out there, owned by nut jobs like us, that have no problem dumping thousands into a car that rarely sells for 10k ever! One day somewhat soon they will be worth a whole lot more once Supra's and Mr2's become unattainable in value.

I'm glad there are others out there that think this way. We have some customers that want to buy RE5s off us (I help at Rotary Recycle) and complain about the price. They think they can built one for less and against our better judgement some of the more stubborn ones still proceed with buying the "parts bike". Some of the stubborn customers have learned the hard way when they see how quickly parts add up.

When I got my Celica I thought the price was a little high but it came with extra stuff that made me feel it was well worth the asking price and never once haggled with the guy.
1992 Toyota Celica AllTrac
1987 Mazda RX7 Sport
1979 Yamaha G1A, rotary powered with Sachs KM24
1976 Hercules W2000, oil injected
FC Zach
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby underscore » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:57 pm

ALLensTRAC wrote:Moral of the story: Get the cleanest one you can not afford and make it work somehow. I bet I'd be driving mine if it had been a 10-15k Trac. They're out there, owned by nut jobs like us, that have no problem dumping thousands into a car that rarely sells for 10k ever! One day somewhat soon they will be worth a whole lot more once Supra's and Mr2's become unattainable in value.

Agreed, neglected maintenance alone can kill you with any car. I've bought a lot of not quite necessary mods for my car but I still don't like to think about how much I have into a car with a stock interior and an engine that hasn't been cracked open.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby pero » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:44 pm

1337computing wrote:There only going to get higher in price. (I Hope)

I agree. All of ours keep getting worth more every time one gets totalled or parted out. It's like money in the bank. Assuming you keep it clean and leave it stock, which is hard to do.
1990 ST185 - mostly stock
2002 IS300 5-speed manual - not so stock
pero
Club Member

Postby Robin-evo6rs2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:51 pm

i have a original LHD Evo VI rs2... car is a 1999.. i paid almost 25k dollar for it... :D
Robin-evo6rs2
Club Member

Next

Return to Club Chat