PA State Cop Dousn't Like my 3" Exhaust

1337computing

Got pulled over because "your exhaust is to loud". Told me to put a stock exhaust back on lol. The kicker is I'm getting a ticket in the mail but was told dont pay just go to court and I will drop it. WTF??? F*UCk the police.

Awesome-Trac

I was given a fix it ticket by the Bart station police! This fool actually drove around the spot I was parking at three times then waited until I walked into my car and pulled out of the parking then flashed me right away! "Asshole"

quieter

sounds reassuring in my case... haven't installed my 3 inch exhaust yet its been a year now, what does yours looks like?

Eurus

brutekiller787":1247szbw said:
Its not illegal in pa to have an aftermarket exhaust as long as you have a cat.
Didn't read it.

PENNSYLVANIA

75 Pa.C.S. § 4523 (2013)

§ 4523. Exhaust systems, mufflers and noise control.

(a) Compliance with established sound levels. --Every motor vehicle operated on a highway shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated so as not to exceed the sound level for the vehicle as prescribed in regulations promulgated by the department. The test procedures and instrumentation to be utilized shall also be established by regulation.
(b) Compliance with exhaust requirements. --In addition to any requirements established under sections 4531 (relating to emission control systems) and 4532 (relating to smoke control for diesel-powered motor vehicles), every motor vehicle shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated so as to prevent engine exhaust gases from penetrating and collecting in any part of the vehicle occupied by the driver or passengers.
(c) Mufflers and related equipment. --Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device.
(d) Unauthorized modification of equipment. --No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle above the maximum levels permitted under subsection (a) or violate the provisions of subsection (b). Headers and side exhausts are permitted provided the vehicle meets all the requirements of this section.
(e) Fire equipment and racing vehicles. --This section does not apply to fire equipment or to racing vehicles being operated in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under a permit issued by local authorities.

1337computing

I have a 3" exhaust from DP all the way back and no cat. My muffler is a "Imotoria" bought the car with it on so no idea where its from.

The guys just being a fuckin dick and needs to go find something to do.

FC Zach

I have the same exhaust on mine too. I've gone through inspection twice now with no cat and still passed the visual, guess they think the resonator is a cat. . .

brutekiller787

Eurus":13c2vl9j said:
brutekiller787":13c2vl9j said:
Its not illegal in pa to have an aftermarket exhaust as long as you have a cat.
Didn't read it.

PENNSYLVANIA

75 Pa.C.S. § 4523 (2013)

§ 4523. Exhaust systems, mufflers and noise control.

(a) Compliance with established sound levels. --Every motor vehicle operated on a highway shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated so as not to exceed the sound level for the vehicle as prescribed in regulations promulgated by the department. The test procedures and instrumentation to be utilized shall also be established by regulation.
(b) Compliance with exhaust requirements. --In addition to any requirements established under sections 4531 (relating to emission control systems) and 4532 (relating to smoke control for diesel-powered motor vehicles), every motor vehicle shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated so as to prevent engine exhaust gases from penetrating and collecting in any part of the vehicle occupied by the driver or passengers.
(c) Mufflers and related equipment. --Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device.
(d) Unauthorized modification of equipment. --No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle above the maximum levels permitted under subsection (a) or violate the provisions of subsection (b). Headers and side exhausts are permitted provided the vehicle meets all the requirements of this section.
(e) Fire equipment and racing vehicles. --This section does not apply to fire equipment or to racing vehicles being operated in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under a permit issued by local authorities.

Like i said, not illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust, as long as its not too loud and has a cat. and too loud is at the discretion of the cop.

I was in court on day and another guy was there for a sound violation on his civic. When the judge told the officer there to go listen to the exhaust, he came back and said he here's Harley's louder than that all the time. So he judge was cool and dropped the ticket.

88gt4DE

Mr Alltrac":3mhn44uc said:
I was in court on day and another guy was there for a sound violation on his civic. When the judge told the officer there to go listen to the exhaust, he came back and said he here's Harley's louder than that all the time. So he judge was cool and dropped the ticket.

YES ... me too ! :pissed: