88' ST165

3SDNA

Last year around August I bought an white 88' ST165 in Phoenix, AZ. The car has since blew a head gasket, and I am trying to get ahold of the previous owner for some information on the car/engine. I am curious if this individual is still on the forums. Please chime in if you are this person. Thanks! Sorry for the ambiguity!

UtahSleeper

Not sure who they are, but you could post pictures and someone may know the PO. Also there are a lot of people here with knowledge on these cars, so I imagine most can help, unless this is specific to your purchase.

3SDNA

I do have some questions not specific to the purchase. I have some receipts from the revious owner showing that a low mileage, JDM long block was installed 22k miles ago. The car already has blown a head gasket, which I think is odd with stock boost. I was going to ask if the engine is actually a JDM engine, or what is the quickest way to tell.

Also if a 1st gen or 2nd gen cylinder head is on the car.

UtahSleeper

To see if its JDM, you can see if it has an EGR valve and/or ports on it. If there is no EGR and no block off plates, then it may be a JDM engine.

Also, if they bought the motor and didn't replace gaskets before installing it is possible the head gasket went with about 80k on the motor(22 plus and estimated 60 from original car.).

r-town

Yes, what UtahSleeper said. My Alltrac has a JDM engine that was installed by the previous owner, and got a blown head gasket around 85k or so miles.

3SDNA

Thanks for the help. Do you think the head gasket gets weak from non operation for a long period of time?

I am hoping that some ARP studs and metal HG will make it last longer this time.

From what I have read on here, a second Gen 3sgte head will fit on the first gen block?

Thanks again.