AE95 Clutch Advice

Aaron

Hey, guys. I used to own an ST185 (and then an MA67), but times have changed and I'm currently in an '89 AE95 that needs a clutch. There's not much of an online community that I can find for these vehicles and parts seem a little hard to find. I'd like to upgrade to some kind of light performance clutch since I feel like the stock ones are made for granny shifting. Same deal with the flywheel. I feel like I shift too fast for the flywheel to keep up with me. If I have to go with stock, then I'll go with stock, but it'd be nice to upgrade.

underscore

The clutch disc for an AE95 has the same part number as an AW11 MR2 with a 4AGZE, as is the throwout bearing (the bearing is also the same as a bunch of other cars). The clutch cover unfortunately is specific to that chassis by the looks of it, but from what I can tell it's the same for all variants of that gen of Corolla. The flywheel is a bit complicated, the part number for it is unique, but the crank is shared with some AT180 with the 4AFE, some AE82 wit the 4ALC, some AE92 with the 4AF and 4AFE, some AE86 with the 4AC, and some AE82 with the 4ALC. So flywheels for those chassis will bolt up to the crank, but anything beyond that I can't say for sure.

Aaron

It's the 4A-FE, but the clutch for the All-Trac is different. I found a LUK clutch that I think I'm going to go with since I put one in my '85 Supra and it was great. It's not a performance clutch, but unless you know of something that's interchangeable (such as a 4A-GE or GZE or something), I'm just going to get that. My 3rd gear synchro is shot, too, so it'd be nice to take care of that at the same time, but I can't find a tranny and have never rebuilt one before. I can't have a lot of down time on the car since it's my only vehicle at the time being.