Visiting & Driving Pikes Peak?

athousandleaves

I'm possibly going to be heading down to CO at the end of June and wanted to actually drive up Pikes Peak. Just looking for some advice/info on what one should do to properly plan something like that.

I know the actual official hill climb happens on July 8 and I could possibly plan my trip to attend it as well.

I'd like to be able to rent some form of performance oriented car or a fun road car with a good bit of power to drive to the summit but I don't know if they close off the road to prep for the hill climb at some point.

Anyone with experience/info/tips etc. please let me know!

___Scott___

athousandleaves":156zgsnd said:
I'm possibly going to be heading down to CO at the end of June and wanted to actually drive up Pikes Peak.
Cool, everyone should do it once.

Just looking for some advice/info on what one should do to properly plan something like that.
Bring money. The "Pikes Peak Highway" is a toll road and they charge by the person not by the car load. I don't remember what they charged last time I went, but it's probably changed since then anyway.

I know the actual official hill climb happens on July 8 and I could possibly plan my trip to attend it as well.
That's the way I would do it, except that spectators are not allowed passed the "Devil's Playground" area. If you want to go all the way to the top, you'll have to do it on another day.

I'd like to be able to rent some form of performance oriented car or a fun road car with a good bit of power to drive to the summit but I don't know if they close off the road to prep for the hill climb at some point.
The practice sessions for the hill climb are run early in the morning for a few days leading up to the race. I'm not sure what time the practice sessions finish, but the road turns back into a tourist trap by mid-day sometime. As for renting, I've only rented a truck locally once but I learned that they prohibit you from driving up Pikes Peak. The issue is that rental cars have crappy brakes and the drive back down tends to destroy them. Maybe other rental agencies have different policies. Also, the road up there has speed limits and I understand that they are enforced. Don't waste your money renting something fun, you'll get stuck behind a long line of slow-pokes anyway. The best you can hope for is to hang back a little and blast a corner or two before you catch up to the pack. It's a nice drive, but dealing with slow-pokes can be aggravating.

athousandleaves

Thanks scott!

Will definitely make some calls to rental agencies down there before I finish booking this.
I was hoping I could rent something manual so I could engine brake instead of relying on the pads.

Any idea how heavily the speeds are enforced?
On some other forums I've been finding people who post their times up and back as if there's nobody there to stop them from doing the whole thing at speed.

wakkjobb

athousandleaves":1222vxyl said:
Any idea how heavily the speeds are enforced?
On some other forums I've been finding people who post their times up and back as if there's nobody there to stop them from doing the whole thing at speed.

Figure only a few sections to actually "go fast" and take in account traffic and tourist drivers scared of heights who going slower than snail snot. Also depends what day: weekend versus weekday, weather, vacation time etc... you may have more fun zipping around Garden of the Gods during a weekday morning; forget weekends. It's packed and not fun to try for speed. If you have time, there's Hwy 67 that runs north from Woodland Park/Hwy 24 for a grip; it's chock full of turns and runs through the Hayman Fire area... which is again on fire at this time.

I think I sent you a PM with my info for when you get to town; if not let me know.

>>Dan

wakkjobb

Still looking to drop into town? We have room for visitors; Legacy o' Dan is coming out from Pennsylvania again and we have some friends from Germany coming as well. If you're still up for it, let me know! It'll be here before you know it!

>>Dan

athousandleaves

Hey Dan,

Don't think I ended up getting your PM but it looks like my trip to PP has evolved into a bigger road trip from CO to NM to AZ to UT and then back to CO to fly home. I will likely be missing the Hillclimb event too as its just not going to fit into the schedule, maybe next year!

lalojamesliz

When I first saw the thread I thought you were saying your taking the all-trac! I have always wanted to drive up to the peak but never knew if the all-trac would be ok for that. Ill probably drive quick up hill but on the way down I would have a line of cars behind me ;) I have stock brakes and will probably crap my pants if my brakes over heated.my brother is serving some vacation close to that, kind of.... and that is when I wanted to stop by but I need more info... mabey one day