Clutch pedal weirdness.....SOLVED !

Is there a trick to bleeding the clutch hydraulics on the celicas? I have an ST165 with a 4th gen swap and an ST205 trans with a stronger southbend clutch.

I bled my clutch with the clear tube on the bleeder method. I use a 6 foot length of clear vinyl tube and I work the pedal back and forth slowly watching the brake fluid level come up and the bubbles rise out.

The problem is, I have to push the clutch all the way to the floor to shift gears. Ive adjusted the rod length on the clutch master to where I still have a tiny bit of free play at the top of the pedal. The pedal does not feel like it is building pressure until it gets close to the floor.

Both the clutch master and slave are new and are both replacement parts for the ST165 chassis. Im not sure if there is a difference in piston sizing with the ST205.

Anyone else have problems with stronger aftermarket clutches?

underscore

I know someone sells extended slave rods (Speed Source I think?) for use with aftermarket clutches, I assume to correct this problem.

Tecker185

Ive had that problem before, i replaced my clutch master with an advance auto unit. Hard to bleed and when i got it bleed it only had good pedal towards the floor. I swapped the new one out for a known good used oem toyota and it worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally figured out this issue! The ST205 box I have in my ST165 has a different piston size in the clutch slave! I measured it at about 22mm and the ST165 is about 20.5mm. I put the smaller piston slave and the clutch is perfect!! Did not think there was a difference. Maybe the pedal in the ST205 is a different length or a different master cylinder size. Hope this helps anyone else having clutch issues!