Air suction

Aaron

My hydraulic clutch line seems to be sucking in air somewhere. The problem is I bleed it, it works fine, then I go home. The next morning I'll start up my car, it seems fine, but then progressively gets worse and then by the time I get to work (9 miles) it just sticks to the floor with no more pressure. Bleed it again, works great, then same deal.

I've already replaced the master and slave cylinders with aftermarket units from Autopart International. They usually provide quality parts, but I'm thinking it's gotta be from one of those.

I should also mention that this didn't happen until after I installed the longer slave rod from Speed Source. The only reason I installed that was because I wasn't quite getting full disengagement after installing my Spec Stage 3+. After I installed the rod, I adjusted the pedal out a little further so that it grabbed just right and I thought I was good to go. 2 days later, the pedal went to the floor and the saga began. In retrospect, I should have adjusted the rod first, but I didn't. I'm about to put the stock rod back in, bleed it, and adjust it and see if my problem goes away -- that's assuming that the rod is somehow the reason I'm getting air sucked into the system.

Any other ideas before I do this? Quick replies are appreciated, as I get out of work in about 4 hours and will be doing it then. Thanks.

smog7

im also having the same problem in my car. it tends to stick after i have the clutch in for 10 seconds or more. I think i might just need new fluid....

gt4tified

Replace the stock hard line with a braided stainless steel one. Its possible that the pressure may have caused the line to swell somewhere or develop a hairline crack.

Aaron

I could try that. I have the braided line sitting on my passenger seat. I could try putting that in tonight. I thought it replaced a rubber line, though. It replaces a steel line? Any tips on installing this?

Aaron

No leaks that I could find and the reservoir is always full. Strange thing happened yesterday, though. All I did was put the stock slave cylinder rod back in and it worked perfectly. I did a 10-minute test drive then drove home and I was good. I didn't bleed it or anything. I'm sure when I walk out to my car now to go to work it won't work again, though. :p

coyoteboy

Theres a split in the hard line over the transmission with a screw thread- my bet is thats leaking a tiny amount - its bloody hard to see in a fully loaded engine bay.

Aaron

coyoteboy":ecinu692 said:
Theres a split in the hard line over the transmission with a screw thread- my bet is thats leaking a tiny amount - its bloody hard to see in a fully loaded engine bay.

I'm thinking about replacing the entire hydraulic line and upgrading the hose to the SS one. This is getting stupid. It's better with the stock rod back in, but it's still touchy. If I pump it a a few times, it's good, but then I have to pump it again a few minutes later. It seems like a very slow leak.

Aaron

Scratch that. I just lost the pedal entirely again this morning. Goes right to the floor without coming back. :shoots: :shoots: Fluid is still full.

crazy_russian

I've had the same thing for months, not quite as bad, but slowly getting worse. Sometimes the clutch pedal wouldn't come back up, but if I pulled it back up with my toes and pumped it a few times it was almost normal again. No loss of fluid ever. Bled it 3 times with only temporary improvement each time. I figured since the fluid stays in the system it must be the rear seal in the master cylinder. When you press the pedal the fluid leaks back into the reservouir. So I put in new Toyota (Aisin actually) master cylinder 1.5 weeks ago and so far the clutch feel is better than ever. Only did a few hours of driving so far, but I am convinced that it solved my problem.

Of course now all the fluid disappears after the car sits for two days, but I think that's a different issue. No noticable fluid loss while driving for 1 hour. Any clue?

GMan

Time for a new clutch master cylinder ?
I replaced mine before I did a clutch, but I have had problem with
other cars.

It can leak internally, so you'd never see dripping fluid.

Regards;

Aaron

Ok, I thought I'd update this to inform you guys that aftermarket parts suck. Four days ago, I put in new Toyota master and slave cylinders, bled the system, and everything's been fine since. That's what I get for trying to save money. At least I can return the parts for a refund. :)

shadowlife25

Had this same problem in my AllTrac. Changed the master and it has been perfect ever since. Turns out that the master had a small tear in one of the internal seals for the piston and was not actually getting air in the system, but was blowing by the fluid. Hope this helps.