Good Pucking Question.....

2of81

Hey I was wondering who on here has used a unsprung puck clutch on their All-Trac. If so which one did you end up going with. Also explain your driving experiance with one too, with launching details too. I was thinking of buying a JDM trans to experiment with a ACT 6 puck, so I don't mess up a good RC or ST205 trans. Also what sized turbo and PSI were you running on your clutch. Thanks much for your input!

turbo4wd

You won't mess up a tranny just based on whether youre using a sprung or unsprung clutch.

The only difference you'll see is that an unsprung clutch wont be as progressive as a sprung clutch. Some can be closer to an on-off switch. You may also find some clutch chatter/squeak on initial pickup. This is normal.

Another thing you'll probably notice is that for everyday driving, a 6 puck may not last as long as a conventional street disc.

As for power, as long as you stay within ACT's specs, you should be fine..

Simba

I haven't in my AT, but I had one in my Supra before I went to a multi disk clutch.

Unsprung, and puck clutches in general, are complete garbage on the street. Unless you're spending ~80% of your time on the track, get a sprung single or multi with a full radius disk.

db

Sprung clutches are intended to absorb driveline vibrations, nothing more. Therefore, a puck clutch won't be any less harsh sprung or unsprung.

Simba

db":2pk3o6fx said:
Therefore, a puck clutch won't be any less harsh sprung or unsprung.

No? Try feathering one on a lightened flywheel for ~10 miles in bumper to bumper traffic. Mine went in the garbage the day after that little episode.

turbo4wd

Simba":1tqidglk said:
No? Try feathering one on a lightened flywheel for ~10 miles in bumper to bumper traffic. Mine went in the garbage the day after that little episode.

Agreed, I experienced the same with a FD..

2of81

Yea this won't be a daily, or in stop and go traffic. I just read that the setup I have is streetable, but you don't want to drive it all the time on the street. The reason I went with unsprung is because I have heard that it won't chatter like a sprung puck. I have read on the MR2 boards that the ACT 6 puck is the best puck to last the longest...recomended by the likes of NoShoes and others. I was just wondering if anyone had one in their All-Trac. Regardless I am buying another JDM trans to experiment with this clutch....so the Clutchmasters stage 3 will go in the red car with an RC trans and the Clutchmasters twindisc will go with the ST205 trans and a built engine, whenever that happens.