Gearbox and diff oil

Lets talk clutches and everything drivetrain related

Postby Chd » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:21 pm

I used Redline 75w90NS since my third gear has some syncro issues. Alot of people said that it would help, and it did.

So i strongly recommend that for all, it aint the cheapest but it's good that's for sure
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Chd
Club Member

Postby toayoztan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:28 pm

Though this is a maintenance issue, I felt it would be good to have it in the drivetrain forum since discussion over what gear oil is good is talked about.

People should find it useful here too.

Let me know if you guys don't agree with this, thanks!

Bryan
2017 Pilot Elite
2014 Juke NISMO RS
1994 Supra TT 6spd
1993 Alltrac - http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37466
1977 Celica GT Liftback
2015 Grom
1977 GL1000
toayoztan
GTFour God

1993 Toyota Celica

Postby Nitro_Alltrac » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:32 am

This is from the Royal Purple website:

"Max-Gear is recommended for use in truck, motor home / RV, and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions, and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid. All viscosities of Max-Gear are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary."

Corey, this is what you are using, right?

I guess the question is will it protect the syncros like a GL-4 oil? They have a manual transmission oil as well. It looks like from the description that it should work for both the transfer and the syncros.
Mike

92 All Trac - Daily Driver

Nitro_Alltrac
Gold Member

Postby Corey » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:37 am

Yep, im using the Max gear.

Just now filled the tranny with it.

Will have to wait a week or so till the car is running to see how it is. But that will be the first drive with the new tranny, so i have nothing to base it on.

corey
Corey
GTFour God

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby BriinumsBo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:39 am

I put "Motul HD 80w90 GL4/GL5" in my torsen. while the original bottle didnt note this, the sticker in our local language said its for "gearboxes and hypoid transfers and differentials without limited slip"..
should I start worrying about that stupid sticker?
BriinumsBo
Club Member

Postby Nitro_Alltrac » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:17 pm

BriinumsBo wrote:I put "Motul HD 80w90 GL4/GL5" in my torsen. while the original bottle didnt note this, the sticker in our local language said its for "gearboxes and hypoid transfers and differentials without limited slip"..

That sticker most likely applies to the clutch type diffs. Those usually require either special oil or an additive for the clutches. I know that GM positraction units are like that.
Mike

Nitro_Alltrac
Gold Member

Postby BriinumsBo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:23 pm

Nitro_Alltrac wrote:
BriinumsBo wrote:I put "Motul HD 80w90 GL4/GL5" in my torsen. while the original bottle didnt note this, the sticker in our local language said its for "gearboxes and hypoid transfers and differentials without limited slip"..

That sticker most likely applies to the clutch type diffs. Those usually require either special oil or an additive for the clutches. I know that GM positraction units are like that.

That`s what I thought first - clutch type :) i guess it should be fine with torsen, no problems so far, some noises even might be gone, we`ll see :D
A garage that services rally cars, put in GL4 same for tranny and differential, while rebuilding my engine. The GL4 stuff was pretty thick and foamy after 1500km.
BriinumsBo
Club Member

Postby Nitro_Alltrac » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:05 pm

When I put my torsen in, I just used the regular Mobil 1 synthetic gear only. I've run it for probably 6000 miles or so. Everything is fine. You should be fine.
Mike

Nitro_Alltrac
Gold Member

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:13 pm

Anyone try GM synchroshift? Also known as pennzoil synchroshift. The mitsu and honda guys both like it. :shrug:
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby Nitro_Alltrac » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:52 pm

I have read quite a few posts about people using the syncromesh fluid in their transmissions. They report good results in making the shifts better. This would make sense as syncromesh is rated as GL-4, I believe. The problem is it doesn't offer the protection that the hypoid gears in the transfer case needs.

The question with the syncromesh has been what kind of affect will it have on the transfer. I haven't really read anything about anyone's long term experience. I have seen where some people have mixed the two (GL-4 and GL-5) but I don't know if it really works. I saw somethings where there were concerns about whether the two were compatiable and if they would stay mixed. I haven't tried it myself so I'm not sure. When I change my tranny fluid, I think I am going to try that Royal Purple which is supposed to work with GL-4 and GL-5. It sounds like that Castrol fluid that is available overseas.
Mike

Nitro_Alltrac
Gold Member

Postby Droptop93 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:59 am

Max gear is goodshit I used I when I changed my clutch bu when I had to have my axles replacd they drained it and put in the cheap generic stuff would have fbe the axles myself but was pressed for time. I think I'm gonna yet syncromesh next cuz I'm haveing shifting issues now and its hard to go back to first.
Droptop93
Club Member

Postby ___Scott___ » Wed May 14, 2008 3:31 am

There have been reports that our transmissions don't like syncromesh in high horsepower and hard use applications.

I ran syncromesh oil for a few years as a stock daily driver without any problems. It really helps with problematic synchros. I discovered that just adding a quart of syncromesh and filling the rest of the way with ATF works pretty good too. That's what's been in my blue 165 for about a year now.
Scott
Colorado Springs, CO - USA
SONY
Opera - The better browser
___Scott___
Established Member

Postby Droptop93 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:16 pm

___Scott___ wrote:There have been reports that our transmissions don't like syncromesh in high horsepower and hard use applications.

I ran syncromesh oil for a few years as a stock daily driver without any problems. It really helps with problematic synchros. I discovered that just adding a quart of syncromesh and filling the rest of the way with ATF works pretty good too. That's what's been in my blue 165 for about a year now.

i dont have the alltrac trans i have the s53
Droptop93
Club Member

Postby vip09 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:38 pm

I have Royal Purple Max-Gear 75w90 in my transmission and torsen rear differential. I will let you guys know how it works out. My car should be on the road within the next two weeks.
Best GT-S STOCK times: 1/4: 14.788 @ 94.98mph 1/8: 9.640 @ 75.87mph
Best Alltrac times: 1/4: 12.2 @ 115mph 1/8th: 7.9 @ 91mph
vip09
Established Member

Postby Nitro_Alltrac » Tue May 20, 2008 8:22 pm

vip09 wrote:I have Royal Purple Max-Gear 75w90 in my transmission and torsen rear differential. I will let you guys know how it works out. My car should be on the road within the next two weeks.

That is what I am going to put in my trans here shortly. It looks like it would be good. Let us know what you think.
Mike

Nitro_Alltrac
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Drivetrain Central