pics of electronic central locking differential from a ST165

allblackalltrac

Im not looking for a pic of the switch on the center console inside the car....but one of the actual electro-mechanical servo-selector on top of the t-case. This would be from a JDM ST165, as far as I know they were only optioned on the early JDM cars - uber rare.

WannabeGT4

I imagine it's just like the one on he Camry alltrac transmission but that's just a guess. If you want, I have the exploded view in the Toyota FSM. It's a vacuum driven shift fork on the differential with a vacuum tank, two solenoids, and an indicator switch on the transfer case.

Rick89GTS

There's a fellow on this site that has an 87JDM ST165. He's from the interior of BC, but I can't recall his name or screen handle right now....

EDIT: it's trialsmaster2 aka Aaron

allblackalltrac

Thanks Rick, I already PM'd him on a different matter but I dont think he has any pics of the top of his t-case as its pretty hard to get a pic of it whilst still in the car...

I do recall seeing a pic of it posted once on the boards but I cant remember where and I never copied the pic when I should have - I keep forgetting how shity the search function is on this board :doh:

Phil-GT4RC

This is the only pic I have seen of it on the transfer box, taken from http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/gearboxpics.htm
Transfer.jpg

WannabeGT4

Sorry it took so long I had to set up my server again since I reinstalled XP.

It looks like the Camry trans was the E56F5 and the ST165 trans was the E50F1. They're both E series transmissions though, so I'm sure they are very similar.

SYSTEM DIAGRAM AND WIRING DIAGRAM
REMOVAL OF COMPONENT PARTS
Transfer Assembly (E56F5)

This has some information about most of Toyota's transfer cases including the electronic and vacuum A.D.D. (Automatic Disconnecting Differential)
Generic Toyota Transfer Cases

EDIT:
After a little bit of searching I found this little snippet from http://forums.performancecar.co.nz/phpB ... fc3fac2817 :
Manufacture of the ST165 started for the Japanese home market in October 1986. Only 2274 were produced before the mid-life update for the ST165 Celica model occurred in August 1987.

All of these early production models had a different gearbox (the E50F1) which has a pneumatic centre differential lock instead of the viscous centre diff fitted to all subsequent GT-Fours. There is a rotational switch beside the handbrake and the dash has an extremely obnoxious bright orange light instead of the boost gauge. The gearbox uses a sliding collar within the transfer to lock the front and rear diffs together. As a result the front and rear ends are effectively locked together, allowing no slip. When turned off the centre diff acts a normal open diff, hence allowing copious amounts of wheelspin at the front in wet weather.

This feature is useful if you are a ski bunny but not much use on the road. However the main advantage of these early gearboxes is the 4.285 final drive ratio (same as the MR2 Supercharger and Turbo) as opposed to the later 3.933 ratio (for US models).

Shaggz00

Thats a pretty nice little excerpt there!

So how early was the 165 offered in Japan? 86? I checked the North American VIN Registry, and there are zero 165's with a VIN lower than like 24xx something somethign. That would be so cool to have that locking diff system, but like the clip says, there is really little use if you drive it on actual paved roads, which is easy to understand.

fhalperformance

It would probably be easier to adopt the system found on the mitsubishi evo to an alltrac since its a samilar drivetrain layout but finding those parts might be tough.

Kyoto

My car is VIN 735. The gearboxes are good for drag racing however in everyday driving these are the inferior gearbox. Im upgrading to a 185 box in a few weeks when i do my clutch.