PPG GT4 dog box gearset

fhalperformance

I was looking at the Chris K Site and came accross the PPG transmissions they are now distributors for. It said there was a gearbox for our cars so I tried emailing them and havent heard back from them. Anyone know anything about these? I checked out the PPG website and it didnt list our cars which I found kinda weird.

fhalperformance

Answer from PPG

"This set is only available from PPG in orders of 10 or more. It is not a
production unit only special order. Sorry again mates!"

I had emailed this company a while ago for making a dog set for my 00 Celica GT-S and if I remember correctly I was quoted 5500 for the gears and 1500 for final drive/beefier shifter forks. That was with an order of 6 or more. Little steep...

Klas

I´ve spotted another company that are able to make strait cut dogbox type gearsets for the alltrac, but they want to have a order of 10 units if that´s gonna happend. The name of the company is Quaife.

fhalperformance

They use to make one for the GT4 so they shouldnt have to do any design work. If it was like 4 grand it would be worth it but then we dont have any other drivetrain parts so Im about to say screw it and do a drivetrain swap...

CMS-GT4

Has anyone looked into the c-one gearset? Closer the the 2k price range. Simular ratios to the quaife box. They are on yahoo japan often.

Denver_whiteST185

i just want a lower 5th gear or a lower final drive. anyone have any leads on that other than tearing apart a perfectly good RC tranny.

CMS-GT4

5th gear is the same in every gtfour gearbox. You already have the lowest final drive in an alltrac.

A person was selling a jdm Ralley box with a custom 5th gear. I think c-one is the way to go as far as price, quality and ratio.

After getting in my alltrac after driving the Z, I think the gear ratios might be too close already, unless I was only tracking the car. YOu might end up shifting more than you want with the closer ratio box.

Denver_whiteST185

maybe you misunderstood me. i was saying that i wanted a lower gear, not higher like the c-ones and the sort. also, the RC gearbox had a lower final drive (3.933 as opposed to 4.28 that all other gearboxes had), but as i said, i don't want to rip apart a RC tranny just for that.

if there was a 5th gear available with a ratio between .650-.700 (stock is .731) than that would make me alot happier on the highway

CMS-GT4

Its the other way around. The higher the number the lower the ratio.

The c-one final drive is about as tall as your current 4th gear ratio.

gt4tified

CMS-GT4":21n7mfsd said:
Has anyone looked into the c-one gearset? Closer the the 2k price range. Simular ratios to the quaife box. They are on yahoo japan often.

That Quiafe box is the shiznit from what I've seen. Just over this weekend a rally comrade from Barbados was showing off with his on his 1.6 n/a Opel Corsa....that little thing moves!!!

MrWOT

They can be annoying on long trips. Dog cut gears whine. Would be awesome if we could specify gear ratio

furpo

The dog is the engagement and not the bit that whines.

I was using a PPG box behind a RB engine and kept killing it. Other people have had good runs from them just I didnt.

Roger

ATS_Scott

furpo":3f00sgki said:

I was using a PPG box behind a RB engine and kept killing it. Other people have had good runs from them just I didnt.

Roger

Right but, afaik, to have dog engagement, you need straight cut gears.

I have seen some stuff lately for EVO's and WRX's that have dog engagment, straight cut in 1st-4th, and 5th is synchro'd and helical cut. So it's quiet @ cruise...Pretty cool idea.

fhalperformance

I wouldve had some affordable gears made up this summer but tranny went while I didnt have another vehicle so its not going to happen as soon as I wouldve liked.

furpo

ATS_Scott":1siejrn6 said:
furpo":1siejrn6 said:

Roger

Right but, afaik, to have dog engagement, you need straight cut gears.

I have seen some stuff lately for EVO's and WRX's that have dog engagment, straight cut in 1st-4th, and 5th is synchro'd and helical cut. So it's quiet @ cruise...Pretty cool idea.

You can have whatever gear profile you want cut onto a blank with a dog engagement. Because a dog box is a competition gearbox they have straight cut gears as this profile of gear does not generate side loading and is therefore stronger.

There are a couple of examples of boxes with helical gear type and dog engagement. Bit of a waste of time in my opinion.

Roger

ismet

it seems that no one makes gearbox for our cars for racing except fensport.
i am about to order a dogbox with custom ratio s/c gears inc final drive + gear selctors with seq shifter from www.sqsracing.com.

furpo

To answer the 5th gear and final drive ratio question.

The MR2 non turbo uses a lower ratio 5th gear. The Rav4 uses a lower ratio final drive ratio.

Roger