Help: I think my clutch went out ST165 (Noob here)

YiZZo

so i posted this on my local college imports forum for some help, but i found this site and you guys should know more better, heh

Heres the problem posted from other thread:
On June 4,2007, I finally decided to bring my car to Irvine (after 4 years, its my weekend car when i go home to San Diego on weekends) Its a 1988 Toyota Celica Turbo All-trac. It drives fine when I'm at home in SD and it drove fine from SD to Irvine (100mile trip) this Monday. But last night (June 5, 2007) it did something it never did before:

Going into first and second gear just fine, revs up as usual. Then once I hit 3rd gear and I start picking up speed I hit 35MPH and it wont go any further, I feel a lil kick back in the car and it wont go any faster no matter how hard i press on the accelerator and my RPMs wont go past 2.5k. Hit 4th gear same thing wont get pass 35MPH and 2.5k RPMs. Could I assume my clutch is bad?

Suggestions from the other thread:
"MAF sensor is dead" everyone one there says to check the MAF, but being a noob I have no idea how to check that.

I hope u guys can give me better help. Thx in advance.

YiZZo

yea, after reading numerous threads here. i realize its not the clutch because it works, sorry im complete noob.

so i was thinking, do i need to reset my ECU? if so how??

also people suggested to me to check MAF sensor, i have no idea how to that either?

are these question posted in the wrong section?

Qlynxer

Hey your in irvine>? I live in santa ana but lot of my freins live there. You can borrow my afm and see if it helps out. Check you PM.

Quan L

Sifu

Fuel cut? Knocking? Sounds like your ECU went into limp mode. Try to get some check engine lights (CEL) codes. Open that lil' diagnostics box by the driver side engine bay, get a paper clip and jump terminals te1 and e1. Turn the car to the ON position but don't crank the car. The engine lights will blink. IE blink blink blink blink blink...pause... blink blink...pause = code 52

To reset your ECU just unplug the negative battery terminal for 10 seconds. Or you can pull off the EFI fuse for ten seconds.

YiZZo

ooo, so its afm. no wonder i couldnt find anything on the search. thx for the responses guys.

Quan, i replied to your PM.