RAV4 2.0 close ratio gearbox into GT4 ??

wizzards581

i know the older models use 5sfe and some came with a 4wd tranny? 5spd was available too. hmm... its probably good to look into this?

marty

**BETSY**":ss327mm3 said:
i to have heard of this but have never seen one in the 'Flesh' or know how good the results are?

U'r in UK, gearbox is in UK so what are you waiting for :D

tybrinturbo

i have this gear box in me rally car, very close ratio gear box, top speed 195km, the 1 gear its very slow, but for rally the 2, 3 and 4 gear its perfect

gt4tified

tybrinturbo":up1zt6hy said:
i have this gear box in me rally car, very close ratio gear box, top speed 195km, the 1 gear its very slow, but for rally the 2, 3 and 4 gear its perfect

Do the bellhousings match up exactly?

CMS-GT4

From what I understand is they do. From what I have read, the gearbox is very much like the alltracs design. I am also curious about its syncros.

This might be a good project for me by keeping the ct20 and not worrying about more power.

marty

tybrinturbo":3iop5l21 said:

wow I didn't expected so close ratio, that is good for GT4 which somebody have only for races, not for everyday driving. but the performance must be awesome.

coyoteboy

tybrinturbo - what rear diff are you using? Changing the box you'd need to swap the rear diff ratio too (unless you were being very unfriendly to your viscous coupler). Fascinated.
In comparison with the GT4 boxes though, that appears to not match what you suggest:
1st is a lot shorter than stock - you should really notice a difference there
2nd and 3rd are not far off standard and 4th and 5th are like overdrives in comparison with the GT4 box? Certainly the 185 rally box is much closer ratio than the rav4.

coyoteboy

Ignore my thoughts on final drive and diffs, i keep making this mistake, despite KNOWING the final drive is set before the transfer.

bozo-merlin

coyoteboy":dxkr4s3s said:
In comparison with the GT4 boxes though, that appears to not match what you suggest:
1st is a lot shorter than stock - you should really notice a difference there
2nd and 3rd are not far off standard and 4th and 5th are like overdrives in comparison with the GT4 box? Certainly the 185 rally box is much closer ratio than the rav4.
Gear ratio are closed yes, but that the only way to get a shorter final drive ratio and that is the biggest interest of this gear box

the RAV4 2001 1AZFE gearbox (i don't know if this one fit but i think so) have shorter gear ratio but the FD is not as short as this one, the 4th and 5th gear are really interresting for race the car :D

1gear 3.833
2gear 2.045
3gear 1.333
4gear 1.028
5gear 0.731
final 4.562

tybrinturbo, which RAV4 your gearbox come from ? (year and engine type)
Thanks

coyoteboy

AFAIK his box will have come from the rav with a 3sge engine, I've yet to find out what years and models that includes.

CMS-GT4

hey offered a rear torsen for the rav 4. I do not see why one could not just get the final drive bits and the rear diff and swap them into their car.

coyoteboy

OK, after some more looking about and thinking:
1) The rav4 diff is not suitable, its just too wimpy.
2) You dont need it anyway, the final drive is done pre-transfer box, just bolt the rav4 transmission right up and off you go.
3) Overall ratios in comparison with a 205 box:
Overall gearing, including final drive looks like:
gear rav4 st205
1 18.62 14.5
2 9.98 8.2
3 6.28 5.4
4 4.59 3.93
5 3.87 3.13

Would make redline speed 120, and first gear (I get about 30 by the redline in 1st) would drop to something like 20mph lol. 70mph motorway cruise would sit you around 3600rpm.

CMS-GT4

Any luck finding the rav 4 final drive part numbers?

I do not like how low the rav 4 1st gear is for my use.

bozo-merlin

CMS-GT4":2f1dbw4o said:
Any luck finding the rav 4 final drive part numbers?

I do not like how low the rav 4 1st gear is for my use.

you can't use the FD without the output shaft as the FD link to the output shaft

A final drive get is ratio from 2 driven gear, one on the diff and the other on the output shaft, without both it won't work

I think a output shatf would be quite expensive whereas a complete gear box won't

MX-37.jpg

And the question is : does the RAV4 output shaft compliant with E15xF inputshaft ?

because i wonder if we can't make a wonderfull mix of every closer ratio from 2 to 5 and keep the original E154F 1st gear ratio