RAV4 2.0 close ratio gearbox into GT4 ??

CMS-GT4

I will do some digging. I used to have a data sheet from back in the day that had ever gtfour gearbox part listed and what was compatible across the board.

I always wanted the Ralley box from japan. One sold on here a while back with a custom 5th gear for ~1,000usd. I think thats a good price concidering how hard they are to find and that it already had the custom 5th gear. (OEM ralley box uses standard 5th gear)

I am currently ok with how close my gear ratios are in my 151f box but I might be interested in a lower final drive since my tire height is mu8ch bigger than stock.

I am going to PM the guy who did the v6 swap and rav4 gearbox in his 185 and see if he can give some input.

bozo-merlin

coyoteboy":1o4y0jzl said:
AFAIK his box will have come from the rav with a 3sge engine, I've yet to find out what years and models that includes.
Is there any RAV4 with original 3SGE ?

i know only
1ZZFE
2AZFE
1CDFTV
1AZFE
1AZFSE

CMS-GT4, feel free to keep us informed
for track day i need to test my top speed before know if this gearbox would be enought (i got E154F) and know all my turn speed to find the good gear for max torque

4V6

Howdy folks. :)

Ok, the ravbox i used is from a 2003 model, im pretty sure its the lwb version.
From what i can gather its an E250F.
The ratios i have down as:
1- 3.833
2- 1.913
3- 1.258
4- 0.918
5- 0.775
rev- 3.583
final drive- 4.933

Transfer is geared exactly as the alltrac box, i put em side by side and checked the turns. 2.928:1

Top speed was gps'd at 120mph give or take so another poster was correct in that.
Its deffo a rocket thru the gears and very much a useful option for rally or hillclimbs/sprints etc.

Heres a couple of pics of the beasty. hope this helps.

P1010224mod1.jpg

P1010223.jpg

P1010222mod.jpg

mod.jpg

ummmiono

i have been interested in this swap for a while. my main concern is the strength of the rav4 gearbox compared to the all-trac one. hey 4v6 you should write an article on what you did to complete your swap like step by step, please!

chkpnt

So I take it that there is no issue with the splines on the output shafts? How about the length of the CV axles?

I'm going to be dropping my entire engine to replace the clutch (along with some other stuff) and this would be a very, very interesting "upgrade." I wonder what a 0-60 time is using the Rav4 gearing? I bet it would be a rocket. :)

4V6

Hi ummmiono, i already wrote a swap article, its on celicatech. :)

The strength of this box appears to be up to at least as good as the alltrac item, but then it should be.
Im only hypothesising here, but the CS/RC box was an improved strength version of the original st185 box, i believe that its similar internally to that cs box.
It does have a different 5th gear cluster as initially i wanted to swap them over to get a higher top speed, but theyre vastly different in design so no go unfortunately.
Ive been looking for another of these boxes to go with the 1mz motor i have but so far, its no go... :(

MR2 VRI, left axle spline is the same as the alltrac, just pop the original rav 4 item out and click the alltrac item in. Works a treat.
The axle shaft on the right side is more of an issue and you cant use the existing parts. You need either an rx300/highlander rh driveshaft or a combo of the rav inner driveshaft and the alltrac, cut and welded to produce the right item...like this one. :)

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

ummmiono

holy shit i want one!the only downside i see, if the weights are in fact similar, is if im not mistaken the v6 is an interference type motor meaning piston would meet valve if the timing belt broke which is something i am not a fan of. otherwise awesome. you should be an alltrac god.

CMS-GT4

How smooth is the shifting on the RAV4 box? I am most curious about the syncro situation. I am not as worried about the power upgrade cause if I do the mod, its cause I have maxed out the ct20 and have not plans on getting anything bigger.

CMS-GT4

I was recently told that the rav4, alltrac and is300 all share the same part number for rear lsd. Anyone want ot verify this? maybe all that needs to be changed is the gear in the rear for ratio rather the whole pumkin.

4V6

The shifting experience on the ravbox is pretty much the same as the alltrac, and so it should be as the two share an uncanny resemblance and utilise similar shifter mechanisms ( external).
Apart from the lower top speed youd be hard pressed to know it had been swapped.

ummmiono

the answer is probly in your links but i only read the original. did you finish the turbo setup? any updates? if you still own it is it faster than a 3sgte powered car?

4V6

Still engineering the turbo install.
Biggest buttache so far has been that rear bank manifold but ive managed to package it all in down the back now so its not too far from being screwed back together. :)

tybrinturbo

i use the stock diff with cusco lsd for the rear,
my tranny is the firts year toyota rav4 with button for lock the center diff.
i swap the front diff and the transfer case for gt4 case.