how much will a 165 diff take

Mafix

does anyone have any idea? we are just starting our 165 RWD project. now of course we have several other diffs to use but we figured we'd see just what the stock 165 rear diff would hold before it blew.

gearhead313

The first time you drop the clutch, its going to come through the floor :p

I wouldnt even mess, unless its just for fun. A cut down toyota 3rd member rear end is the only way to go.

stealthgtfour

any more posts on this swap? ive got an extra motor and soon will have an extra tub to play with
seems like a supra diff would be a good choice
i dont think the rear diff was designed to take 100% power but i imagine with small tyres itll work for a while

Mafix

well a rear isn't a problem for us but i figure we'll see what it will take when we are done. it'll be next year for sure before we get it working. so much to do so little time.

Mafix

well that's the plan.
mostly stock 3sgte with a tacoma 5 speed, custom driveshaft, and stock diff.
i guess i'll have to report on the abuse a stock diff would take since nobody seems to know.

Gary ST165

i can only hazzard a guess, but i'd say plenty 300-400???

with the weight (reduced??) mostly resting over the front axel, but still with an open rear diff >>>>
i reckon the rear wheels would break traction before the diff exploded :lol: :lol:

Mafix

no doubt therer but it will make testing the chassis far easier. besides we will have an 84 diff and can get countless rigid rears.

klue

to be honest i doubt you can blow that diff as easily as others say, Once the wheels can slip (rwd) you take alot of stress off the components in the diff its self and just waste the energies on thermal/kenitic lost through the slipping tires. I say we place bets!!!

id say at lest 300 ft/lbs