ST205 Rear Torsen diff question...

gtfour77

So I am getting ready to buy a rear diff from Mario... He said there is no housing so I am getting the diff itself with no case and the half shafts)... Has anyone purchased just the "guts" before and installed it in your original casing? Any info would be great... I was told before that fitment is cruicial and will require a good machine shop...is this true?

GatorDoc

Yes, you will want a professional to install the LSD into your carrier. If you don't get the backlash, clearance, etc... correct it will wear out in no time, likely in catastrophic fashion. You dont necessarily need a machine shop though, any competent transmission or driveline shop should be able to do it for you.

CMS-GT4

+1. I bought the guts, and had to go to a tech to get the tolerances set.

Make sure you pick up some shaft snap rings if he does not supply them as they are different for lsd.

I look forward to your review.

Might want to also pick up a solid dif mount from him since he is already shipping you a big package.

gtfour77

Thank you guys for the quick replies! One more quetion...anyone know how much a new diff is from toyota? (st205 if you can get them here...)

I bought a new ST185 torsen for a little under 1300 if I remember right. You
get the whole pumpkin (including the stubs and rear cover). I just got tired
of trying to find a good used one.[/i]

gtfour77

I understand your reasoning Tim...it's been almost impossible for me to find a used one...but Mario offered a good used unit for roughly half that price shipped so I am willing to take the risk I suppose... :shrug: Ta this point I am just really worried about the actual fitment into my original (open diff) pumpkin... I am sure it won't be that difficult but it's something have not done before...

CMS-GT4

Do you have a bgb? There is a good section on doing the lsd. Its one of the better chapters of the bgb. Celicatech should have a bgb on their site.

If all else fails, I can try and ftp you a 205 bgb. I need to check and see if the pdf has lsd in it.

Nitro_Alltrac

If the set up is the same, I posted the '90 ST185 PDF on our FTP site. It is in the Nitro_Alltrac folder inside the download folder.

That section is really good and very detailed.

Mike

gtfour77

Looks like the 1990 version of the BGB has both LSD and open diff repair descriptions... Thanks again for great help!! Looks like a lot of work and measuring but I think it might be worth it... :D

Sifu

Sorry for a bit off topic. I can't seem to find Mario's email anymore? Does anyone have it? I need to get the clips and rear poly diff mount from him. Thanks...

smog7

Sifu":1w26jyne said:
Sorry for a bit off topic. I can't seem to find Mario's email anymore? Does anyone have it? I need to get the clips and rear poly diff mount from him. Thanks...

he sells poly dif mounts also? I thought he only had the aluminum ones?

Sifu

I could be wrong but I was wondering what his email was. I will need to contact him for rear subframe parts...

Nitro_Alltrac

I don't have his email, but you can PM. That what I did about the shafts for my torsen. He got back to me right away. GREAT to deal with.

Mike