Switch to full style
Lets talk clutches and everything drivetrain related
Post a reply

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:49 am

If you have extra hands it really helps for this. Alas I work solo most of the time since everyone that helps me the first time gives up the second time... :p
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Re: How in the !@#$ do you put the gearbox back on?

Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:30 pm

A few things that have helped me alot. Firstly i make sure the clutch is centered right. Dont know how many hours ive wasted trying to put the thing on, when all i had to do is re-adjust the clutch and the thing would slide on in less than 10mins. Next, to actually slide it on, i would use a motorcylce jack or two car jacks to support the tranny, and an engine hoist (cherry picker) to support the engine and manuever it into the tranny...then...i would just bear-hug the shit out of the combo and somehow it slides right on.....

Although two other friends helping out seems to work out just as well...

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:08 pm

figure i should give a little imput, you have to twist AND angle the trans till the transfer case area goes over the bolt hole "corner" on the block then carefully straighten it and wiggle it on. the clutch does have to be perfectly aligned and the method mentioned b4 me works perfect with what i just said

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 am

Can you remove the gearbox with the engine in place (on the car) ?
Isn't easier to take the transfer/transaxle off the gearbox first ?

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:16 pm

BNZ wrote:Can you remove the gearbox with the engine in place (on the car) ?

Yes and IMO no. It is cramped unless you have a lift and room underneath. The transfer case is pretty heavy and a PITA to get it out or off with the entire engine/trans/tx case intact. It can be done but I still think it's way easier to just take out the entire unit.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Sifu wrote:
BNZ wrote:Can you remove the gearbox with the engine in place (on the car) ?

Yes and IMO no. It is cramped unless you have a lift and room underneath. The transfer case is pretty heavy and a PITA to get it out or off with the entire engine/trans/tx case intact. It can be done but I still think it's way easier to just take out the entire unit.
I don't think it can be done, even on a lift, etc. The angle the transfer case needs to go to interferes with the steering rack and body of the car, and I don't think the motor can be tilted sufficiently out of the way.

I was able to put the engine and trans together by myself in an hour or two... set the bell housing of trans up on a couple 2x6's, put a small jack under the transfer case to adjust angles and have the engine on a hoist. It does take a lot of maneuvering to get it all together - the transmission and engine have to be right next to each other before they can be rotated to the correct position for the dowel pins.

As for taking the transfer case off the motor, that might be possible - though I think some of the bolts are quite hard to get to with the engine in place.

-Charlie

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:01 pm

You can remove the gear box with engine still in the car (trust me and don't ask me how I know). It is cramped and much more headache than dropping the whole unit. When you do get off the tranny HOO BOY wait until you try to mate them with the engine in the car... Again, don't ask me how I know...

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:04 am

lol i know how you know....

and i really prefer the entire engine/trans out of the car method lmao

Re:

Sun May 08, 2011 6:06 am

saved_1992 wrote:well the best way i have found to do it is

put the engine on end straight up and down (crank pulley flat on the floor with the flywheel pointing up, then the tranny comes down from the top.
gravity will be your best friend, have done this way 3 times, has worked like a charm every time

agreed.

If i ever have to pull the trans and put it back on im doing it with the motor out of the car.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Time, started to pull Trans in car last night@ 7pm, walked home around 10pm.

Returned this morning @ 10am, and will be driving home by 1.

I did the entire job by my self,i point this out cause i hate having people look over my shoulder, makes me think too hard.

Because of the normally task that it is,i now will have no real reason to sell my car.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:32 pm

That's another +1 for the missile silo method. It was a bit sketchy but after struggling for 4 hours to get it on horizontally, the silo did the trick!

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:19 pm

I've done all the methods mentioned. Best method to worst is,
#1:Engine and trans pulled as unit, engine standing on timing side to stab trans.
#2: Engine and trans pulled as unit, small army to assist in stabbing trans.
#3: Engine in car, nightmare.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:46 pm

I'd say best for me is actually your list inverted

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:54 pm

I had recently removed and reinstalled my transmission. Got it out in under an hour. Took 4 hours to put it back in. Screw that silo method.

It's not THAT bad trying to put it back in, just needs a lot of leverage, two jacks and one good kick to slip it on.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:55 am

So if doing the missile silo method, how do you guys avoid damaging the end of the engine (timing belt cover, etc)?
Post a reply