Throw Out Bearing Gettin Noisy

TEAMFaint

Hey guys. For some reason, with both of my 5th gens..I've had this problem. And its beginning to get the best of me haha.

With my 92 GTS, I blew the clutch trying to get up a hill in the winter (first time winter driving..young drivers mistake) ended up replacing with an Exedy clutch (oem replacement) and works great to this day! (know the kid who bought my car very well)

However, I used the exedy throw out bearing, and it never stopped ticking when my foot was on the clutch.

Now when I dont have my foot clutch on the Gt-Four, I can hear a *slight* ticking of the throw out bearing. When I slightly depress the clutch, it goes away..AWESOME.

So my question is:
Is there any way to lubricate where the throw out bearing sits in order to stop this ticking? Or am I going to have to replace the whole bearing?

If I have to replace it, is there any way of doing it without hauling the transmission out? Or is that going to be have to be done?

Thanks in advance :)

-Kellen

Corey

This is the same problem im having. Seems to be a problem with grey gt4 v's lol.

I'll be dropping my engine later this year to replace it with an ORC clutch. I dont think there is any other way to fix it. When the bearing starts making that noise, its damaged. and It will only get louder and more annoying lol

:(

tw2

Yeah OEM is the only TOB to use. Anything else seems to have problems. Is the exedy once the same as the toyota one? I would only get it straight from the stealership. Lubricate the centre of it where it sits on the shaft. It should already be prelubed properly inside. Then just do the fork and it will be fine. Unfortunately I think you have to remove the tranny.

tw2

I don't know what ORC is but I would never go with one other than oem. Otherwise you risk having them make noise and annoy you. It is $50 or so and you are guaranteed good quality especially when you need to remove the tranny if you change your mind.

Simba

Some clutches (namely twin plates) require a thicker bearing, so, make sure the one your clutch came with is the same length as OEM before you use one.

It's also possible for the bearing to make a bit of noise when lightly contacting the pressure plate forks. A longer slave rod can help slightly in that instance as it'll pull the fork back a tad more.

gt4tified

Simba":r1n5gtuo said:
Some clutches (namely twin plates) require a thicker bearing, so, make sure the one your clutch came with is the same length as OEM before you use one.

It's also possible for the bearing to make a bit of noise when lightly contacting the pressure plate forks. A longer slave rod can help slightly in that instance as it'll pull the fork back a tad more.

I hate my clutch with a passion because of the throwout bearing noise. Even when I'm in neutral I still have to keep the clutch pedal depressed because if I let up, the release bearing whines as loud as my BOV....damn it...I hope to get my OEM clutch in there soon. :roll:

gt4tified

Corey Darling":3c95jxnj said:
What type of clutch do you use?

thanks

corey

I think you already asked me this in another thread. Anyway its a 6puck unpsrung ACT with HD pressure plate and OEM resurfaced flywheel.