RC gear box... What's the advantage?

ST185pinjo

The 205 is much more developed, resulting in a better feel and shift.
My friend has one in his, and comparing to my CS it is almost the same performance wise.

I would buy a 205 one if you can find one.

alltracshoak

so how would i know that it is an RC tranny???i can get one for a good price right now but im not sure if it's an RC tranny, it does indeed have an wta ic from the motor im looking at..let me know what you guys think from the pics of it is it a RC tranny..does the RC tranny comes with a electric speedo?

trannyJPG3.jpg

trannyJPG2-1.jpg

tranny-1.jpg

i guess my tranny blowing up is an excuse for me getting an rc tranny

Corey

Nice find, Not sure how to tell. But its probably a safe bet. I also see the RC timing belt cooling vent. As for the speed sensor, I beleive all JDM engines came with the electric sensors.

Corey

I dont think so. I think Gary_ST165 said there was a number somewhere in a thread i posted a few weeks ago, but we weren't sure where. I think the only way to tell is by the oil coolers. they are supposed to be different.

The sure fire way to tell an ST205 tranny is by the extra rubber air vent below the clutch fork boot, and the lack of 2WD/4WD selector. But i know of no such definative features for the other trannys.

alltracshoak

Corey Darling":1wthbyrj said:
I think the only way to tell is by the oil coolers. they are supposed to be different.

The sure fire way to tell an ST205 tranny is by the extra rubber air vent below the clutch fork boot, and the lack of 2WD/4WD selector. But i know of no such definative features for the other trannys.

so what's the difference in the transmission oil cooler??is the rc better? if so, i should get the oil cooler with it too then?

Corey

I have no idea, ive never actually seen pictures of the different coolers. I've only read that they are different, but noone seems to describe how lol :doh:

alltracshoak

just wondering, i went out and check the motor/tranny today...DOES THE RC come with ct20b ?????the one i saw has an wta tmic and all but have a ct26 ???

Andy

They are smaller than the std 185 whichI thnk has 2 more crossflow passages. Compare the 165 to the 185, maybe they determined that the std 185 one was overkill...

FS? Sorry, the RC trans and shifter went into my 185, and I love it.
This cooler is going into the 165 with a 185 trans, a rebuilt engine, and a a JDM wiring harness, which I hope to fire up for the first time this weekend (maybe). Should be interesting...

Andy

BriinumsBo

after all its like noone knows nothing :/ I`d really like to know if there is some number or whatever..
I have european ST185 gt4 non-RC, the plate in the engine bay states it has E151 tranny / Torsen dif. I`m not sure if it has 2wd/4wd selector. The tranny has pretty f-d up synchros so i`m about to change smth.
I`ve already arranged purchase of tranny from JDM st185. The seller bought engine from japan and doesnt need the box (he`s building a Carina ;)) so its a bargain for me.. There are no VIN numbers or whatsoever, only engine with air-to-air intercooler. and tranny (with 2wd/4wd switch!). How do I tell what tranny it is? if it turns out to be E150, will it be much worse? If not worse, is it straight bolt-on? No messing with diffs or anything?

Corey

The ratios Arn't all the same. Yes they will all bolt up though.

Here's what i THINK i know about the different models and years of tranny's

EDM got the E151F tranny (RC tranny). JDM got the E150F, and possibly, after the 91-92 facelift, the RC triple/double cone 2nd/3rd gear syncros went into their E150F tranny.

Same goes for the US alltrac. After 92, its been said they got a few of the E151F internals, But the Tranny code remained E150F (I'm not sure about the Final drive though, i think its still 4.28 ) So basically, they received the uprated triple and double cone syncros. on 2nd/3rd, just like JDM facelift.

For all the available gear ratios, CMS posted a link to another thread he started to keep track of them all.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 987#225987

and

http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/gearboxpics.htm which has pics and a list of the gear ratios for each model.

If you're buying a new JDM tranny. BEST bet it to confirm it is an E150F 92-93, so you have a good chance of receiving the uprated syncros of the RC, which, you already have (the syncros i mean).

Hope this helps

Corey