lightened flywheel input

maxaud

So I just recently pick'd up a clutch and a flywheel from a local seller and was wanting to get peoples input on lightened/aftermarket flywheels.
The one I got feels kinda heavy but it looks nice. I've never had one before so I don't know how much they are supposed to weigh.

Are they worth it?
Will I see any improvements?
If so, what kind of improvements?

The flywheel I got can be seen at this link:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/detai ... 84001.html

Corey

I know simba will say they arent worth it :p . not for daily driving.

The ORC i just bought comes with a lightened flywheel, so it will be my first one.

Something tells me it will be similar to my Mom's 02 honda accord. The clutch on that car is very touchy and prone to stalling, far more than what my car is like now. So i dont see driving it to be too much harder.

From what i've read, you wont feel much of a power increase. but throttle response will be improved significantly.

Denver_whiteST185

i have a spec/fidanza in my car. it does take a little more effort when starting from a stop, but you get use to it really quickly. i didn't actually notice a huge difference, however it was a bit quicker.

maxaud

I'll be putting on a 6 puck sprung hub clutch with it.
I've used the same clutch on a red-trac I had and loved it. It was either on or off which made it a little difficult to drive at first. I guess the lighter flywheel will make it a little bit harder, but if I can get an increase in throttle response then I'll probably use it.

I posted this hoping Simba would chime in as I'm sure he has the experience.

Thanks for the input so far.

Denver_whiteST185

you may not want to do it with a puck type clutch. i would just stick with the stock one, either machined or new oem.

BTW, there is an aftermarket steel one made by spec. it has the replaceable face like their aluminum ones, and it weighs 14 lbs., which is a little lighter, but not much. i think stock is 18 lbs, but don't quote me on that.

maxaud

I know the 6 puck is more aggressive. I had the same clutch on a red-trac I had (not the last red-trac but the one before). I loved it. The fact that it's a sprung hub makes it a little nicer also.
Thanks thought for the suggestion.

Simba

Throttle response is slightly quicker, in the case of the very light aluminum flywheels, however drivability is somewhere between crap and horrible depending on what clutch you're running. On a track or autocross car where you need those extra fractions of a second, sure. On the street, the benefits are not worth it IMO.

As to clutch type, unless you absolutely need the torque holding of a puck clutch, a round disk will always have smoother engagement and better street manners. Some of the newer metallic round disk clutches like the Spec III+ will hold as much as most all puck clutches, anyway.

ST185pinjo

Corey, I know you are gona love the extra power the ORC gives. This is one thing Meurz did, when he first got the car. Night and day difference.
I have not driven the car, so I don't know how much harder it is to get going from a stop, buy the performance makes up for it.

Corey

I'm really looking forward to it. Will be the single most expensive and well engineered component on my car for a while lol.

I figure if it will be no tougher to drive than my moms honda -which i had to learn standard on- then i have nothing to worry about. And im really looking forward to better throttle respose.

$200GT-4

I threw an O.S. super single on my Trueno just last week. Haven't been able to beat it down much but it does take some getting used to starting off, don't know if I should chalk it up to the super grabby clutch or the lightened flywheel. It has more of a tendency to buck at times, but when I smoke 'em up on accident trying to get moving it was bouncing off the rev limiter quicker than I remember it doing before if that helps any.

etantshi

I've driven on a lightened flywheel since I've owned the trac. You get used to it. I went back to OEM after my spec trashed my findaza. The OEM made the car feel slower to react in my opinion... just me used to the lightened one.