Different sized tires + center viscous coupling = break?

$200GT-4

The rear alignment and camber is still off from the wreck the car was in before I got it. All the rear suspension was replaced but not properly aligned, so the left rear wore down to nothing in just a couple weeks of driving. Since I'm absolutely positively tapped out for cash I got 2 free tires from a friend and they were taller than the other 2. My daily driver is broke dick right now (hence my lack of cash) so I have no choice but to drive the broke clutch no rear bumper mismatched tire having GT4 right now. :shoots: How long until that viscous coupler takes a poop? I don't drive highway speeds over here, maybe 80km/h tops. I'm just curious as to how ignorant/neglectful this is since the trans can be operated in FF mode and the fact that there is no mechanical contact with a viscous right?

alltracman78

FF isn't the best idea, when you do this the splined shafts in the transfer case only have about an inch of contact....

There's no set answer to how long it will take to break [it most likely won't break, just wear out].
How big is the difference? A slight bit probably won't cause any problems for a while.

gearhead313

When i bought my 3rd st165, it had mismatched tires on it, probably about an inch difference. You could tell that they were on the car for a while. I do notice that the viscous is weak... under full boost, up over a graded hill in first i can get the front tires to squawk, but not break loose.

My guess is that if you ran it long enough, it would simply burn up and act like an open diff. It shouldn't actually break.

$200GT-4

Damn, I can finally reply to this post. Here's another idea I had: since the clutch is slipping too badly to allow me to abuse the car, would it be a bad idea to flip it into FF mode? I understand it puts 100% of the torque to the front wheels, but 100% of less than half throttle isn't that much.

etantshi

If you're running a the stock tranny more than likely your VC is already worn, but I wouldn't want to aggrivate it. I'd run the different sized tires before usind FF for daily use. It's the lesser of two evils I suppose, but both are ill advised.

Speedricer

Depending on how broke you are, go to your local junk yard and pick up a couple of the right size tires. They should sell you some old tires for around $5 per tire, then run them over to the tire shop and just have the mounted, not balanced this should set you back another $10. I had to do this once in high school. All this provided you can use someone's car.