CV Joint... metal to metal contact..

BlackGT4

Hi guys, I've got quite an unusual problem on my hands. I don't know how this happened. Basically I'd done 10,000kms before this problem occurred and I can't make any sense of it..

Started out as a metal to metal noise, I thought it was a clutch or bearing noise of some sort... until I went to drain the gearbox fluid and noticed this.

shaft.jpg

This is the side near where the power steering lives.

Now what i cant understand is why the CV joint is so close to that bolt that it touches it...?

I cant tell if theres anything wrong with the driveshaft that could be causing this, but there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with it.

Any help is appreciated.

toayoztan

To me, it looks like your CV axle isn't pushed in all the way into the transmission.

There should be a c-clip at the end to help lock the axle in. Can you grab the axle and it slides in and out slightly of the axle? If so, you need to have it in all the way so the c-clip holds it in and prevents tranny oil from leaking.

Bryan

BlackGT4

bloody hell you are spot on mate. i can easily move it in and out a cm or so. but I have a feeling it needs to go much further into the gearbox so it clears that bolt altogether.

thanks for the help.

toayoztan

BlackGT4":bchrnzjp said:
bloody hell you are spot on mate. i can easily move it in and out a cm or so. but I have a feeling it needs to go much further into the gearbox so it clears that bolt altogether.

thanks for the help.

You probably can't move it more than that b/c the c-clip is preventing you from doing so. That's why you need to give the axle a good "shove" and "jam" it in place to lock the axle with the c-clip. I hope this makes sense!

Goodluck, let us know how it goes.

Bryan

BlackGT4

Thanks for the help Bryan..
I gave that a quick try man, didn't seem to go in. I'll have another go on the weekend (coz of work), not much time.. Seems like I may have to remove disconnect the driveshaft tho, to see whats going on in there.

alltracman78

It's probably too late, but it's probably easiest for you if you remove the shaft, face the opening of the clip straight down, get a heavy rubber mallet and pound the shaft in.

BlackGT4

actually the driveshaft wasnt the problem at all. the bolt fouling on the cv joint was loose, and that was the only problem. didnt even cross my mind at first that it would be loose, felt pretty firm in place until i played with it.
problem was solved last weekend, and i am so happy to be able to drive my car again,.. it rocks :)

thanks for all your help.