Clutch troubles

A

Anonymous

I have a 1990 AllTrac wagon with a bad clutch. I have pulled all the bell housing bolts & the starter motor & the housing will not split from the engine. I've looked & felt all around the parting flange & there are no more fasteners but she no budje.... not even a little.... it's like there are still bolts in there.

I've done a lot of mechanic work, so not a noobie... I have the factory manual too & done everything it says.

Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom in AK

Corey

Did you get the bolt that on the left side of this picture? Sry, its just out of frame almost.

C030508_2253_01small.JPG

It can be very stuburn to remove the tranny. For me, it took two people, one of whom is a body builder (not me lol). He basically went hulk on it and ripped it from the motor while i pulled back on the motor.

Maybe try a small crow-bar to try and separate the two?

Hotrodhendrix

Crow-bar. It takes a bit of muscle to get them away from each other. Just go slow an be careful. If it still doesnt budge you have missed something.

A

Anonymous

All bolts are out.... there is also a dowl stud up there by the bolt in the pic right? I even cut away some of the case around the dowl..... it's definitely sticking on that side, the other side will show a little crack if I pry-bar it.

Anything else? Any thoughts? Keep it coming. Thanks!!

Corey

I believe there are only two Pins/dowels.

If looking in that picture. One is to the Right, near the starter.

The second is up and to the left a bit, between the two top bolts which run through the tranny to the block.

gt4tified

Did you remove the starter? (dumb but necessary question)

Check the transfer case to make sure its not hitting anything and make sure to unscrew the speed sensor cuz that can get knocked around and damaged as well.

A

Anonymous

Yep - starter is off..... engine is the A4FE (not like the pic)...

So Corey... you said " between two top bolts which run through the tranny to the block" does that mean what it sounds like? Are there bolts that go through the trans AND bell housing?

I appreciate the help lads.... keep it coming, it's still stuck.