Torsen differential Q's

I think we are talking about the drain plug that accepts a allen head
wrench not the circle one. The allen head one is on my new Torsen
differential I have in the basement. Still working on taking a picture of
it, at leest I have the basement cleaned up enough where I can get to
the differential. Can I email the pic to someone, I am not any good
at hosting pictures :(

toayoztan

Okay guys, i have an open diff from my 92 alltrac, and pretty soon within the next few days hopefully, i will be dropping my rear diff in my 93. I'm HOPING to god it's torsen. In any case, if it is torsen, what i can and will do is take pics of both diff housings of the exact same angles and what not. Hopefully will find something concrete then.

Bryan

I already have both differentials, both on the ground, both with the rear
case opened. I bought the Torsen new so I know what I got :)

Guess I will take the picture tonight and email it to previous poster, give
me an hour

CMS-GT4

st185torsendiffplug17wt.jpg

st185torsendiffplug23hc.jpg

torsendiffdrainplug38cj.jpg

CMS-GT4

Now I am even more confused. My drain plug looks like the one alclon posted. iner beveld with qa raised circle vs the plain plug on the open diff. This one posted now with the allen hole just confuses the whole matter more.

top two pictures are of the drain plug (bottom of differential) and the
10mm hex that I needed to remove the plug. The bottom picture is
of the differential (yes its a brand new Torsen) with the plug in it.
Sorry if it confuses the issue but maybe US car didnt get the differential
at all ? Removing the cover is a sure fire way to find out though

acylon

OK there is still one last hope, I did notice that on the Torsen there were groves on the inside of the output shafts. My Open diff didn't have these groves, so lets look at that.

**BETSY**

Hi Guys my uk spec st 165 had a 24mm hex bolt on the drain.
I replaced it with a C/S rear diff which had the very same 24mm hex head bolt.
I have NEVER seen a drain plug with a 'female' hex like shown in this thread.
I have seen a few diffs to!

strange....

mike325ci

spyderplayer2002":2jg00iha said:
i called a place today and it is about 450 includes shipping for a 205 gt4 diff
if you don't mind sharing-- where is that place? sounds like a pretty good deal.

All-Truck

mike325ci":4a79y7n8 said:
spyderplayer2002":4a79y7n8 said:
i called a place today and it is about 450 includes shipping for a 205 gt4 diff
if you don't mind sharing-- where is that place? sounds like a pretty good deal.

You'll probablly get that info after he buys it.

2of81

My LSD rearend has the female hex drainplug and my 93 rearend has the regular plug. Just to add a lil light on the subject.

CMS-GT4

How bout' this for a hypothosis.

2 housings.

The lsd will work in either housing.

Alltracs that came standard with lsd has the lsd (female hex) bolt.

Alltracs that came standard with open but either installed a lsd themselves or as an option from toyota have the standard cases.

It seems a possible logical solution to why a lsd might turn up in the other type housing.

The hex bolt may be a garuntee the inside is lsd, while those w/o the hex female end have a small chance that they have an lsd internal in their box.

Maybe someone at toyota can check the bgb or see if they have a standard diff in the warehouse?

Cashback

I got a torsen off an RC and I have the male plugs, pretty sure my open diff in the 165 has a male as well.

lsd-wide.jpg

check out those grooves on the output shaft

acylon

Cashback,
to put alot of rumors about the RC rearend being different gear ratio than an open non RC, would you mind either counting the teeth on the ring gears or rotating the pinion x amount of turns for 1 rotation of the output shafts?

Thanks.
Personally IMO they are the same ratio.

alltracman78

I think the drain plug thing is a lost cause.
All it would take is for someone to screw up thier plug, and buy a different one. This would throw your particular rearend off...

Regarding the RC ratio.

*Damn I'm glad you found this! I have been looking for this for a while!

I owe you all an apology.

Somehow even with marking the teeth I counted wrong.

The RC has the exact same # of teeth on the ring and pinion gears.

The RC rear diff [and I assume the CS/GrpA as well] is identical to the regular ST185 TORSEN diffs. It will bolt right in.*

nbvolks

damselracer":1vf1og39 said:
a friend of mine that has owned a lot of toyotas over the years told me that, at least in the RWD celicas, the supras, the cressidas, and the trucks, the diff code will tell you whether its limited slip or open. If it ends in an even number, its an open diff, but if it ends in an odd number, its an LSD. Since thats just about everything RWD that Toyota makes, its safe to guess that would be true for the rear diffs in the alltracs as well.

Anyone who knows for SURE what theirs is and can tell us their diff code care to confirm or deny this?

&

Its on the sticker on the drivers door

on my blue 90 alltrac I have tranny code listed as
A/TM - 737/E150F

The 737 means something but not sure how to decode it (I know
on my 93 MR2 turbo that 735 indicates that the MR2 has limited
slip differential)

Why did no one else seem to follow up on this in this thread? I know this is the proven way to determine if a 93+ MR2 has a LSD. I also know that it's haw many other Toyota people have confirmed this. Seems that odd final numbers indicate the presence of a LSD (whether viscous, like the MR2 and others, or Torsen as would be the case on the All-trac) while even numbers indicate an open differential.