Torsen differential Q's

Lets talk clutches and everything drivetrain related

Postby **BETSY** » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:03 am

Hi Guys my uk spec st 165 had a 24mm hex bolt on the drain.
I replaced it with a C/S rear diff which had the very same 24mm hex head bolt.
I have NEVER seen a drain plug with a 'female' hex like shown in this thread.
I have seen a few diffs to!

strange....
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Steve Gillies
ST-165 88 UK ([color=red]BETSY[/color])
[url=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d30/steve-gillies/Betsy/RollingRoad005.jpg]377BHP 353Ib/Ft[/url]
UK
**BETSY**
Club Member

Postby mike325ci » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:05 am

spyderplayer2002 wrote:i called a place today and it is about 450 includes shipping for a 205 gt4 diff

if you don't mind sharing-- where is that place? sounds like a pretty good deal.
NYC, NY, USA
Teal '92 ST185 (Current), Black '88 ST165 (Sold)
Founder, Kabiela - DIY & Enthusiast Marketplace (diybuysell.com)
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby All-Truck » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:15 pm

mike325ci wrote:
spyderplayer2002 wrote:i called a place today and it is about 450 includes shipping for a 205 gt4 diff

if you don't mind sharing-- where is that place? sounds like a pretty good deal.

You'll probablly get that info after he buys it.
Chaz
1991 Red All-Trac
All-Truck

Postby 2of81 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:28 pm

My LSD rearend has the female hex drainplug and my 93 rearend has the regular plug. Just to add a lil light on the subject.
Justin
1972 Corolla TE27
1993 Celica All-Trac Red-205 trans,550's, ROM Tune,20G,264 cams.
1993 Celica All-Trac White-sold to Towels
2of81
Established Member

Postby SuperWhite92 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:40 am

MY '92 with the Torsen has a Female end.
Shaun
My 1992 Alltrac is for sale again.
SuperWhite92
GTFour God

Postby CMS-GT4 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:24 am

How bout' this for a hypothosis.

2 housings.

The lsd will work in either housing.

Alltracs that came standard with lsd has the lsd (female hex) bolt.

Alltracs that came standard with open but either installed a lsd themselves or as an option from toyota have the standard cases.

It seems a possible logical solution to why a lsd might turn up in the other type housing.

The hex bolt may be a garuntee the inside is lsd, while those w/o the hex female end have a small chance that they have an lsd internal in their box.

Maybe someone at toyota can check the bgb or see if they have a standard diff in the warehouse?
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Cashback » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:36 am

I got a torsen off an RC and I have the male plugs, pretty sure my open diff in the 165 has a male as well.

check out those grooves on the output shaft
Cashback
Club Member

Postby acylon » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:16 am

Cashback,
to put alot of rumors about the RC rearend being different gear ratio than an open non RC, would you mind either counting the teeth on the ring gears or rotating the pinion x amount of turns for 1 rotation of the output shafts?

Thanks.
Personally IMO they are the same ratio.
acylon
Club Member

Postby alltracman78 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:20 pm

I think the drain plug thing is a lost cause.
All it would take is for someone to screw up thier plug, and buy a different one. This would throw your particular rearend off...

Regarding the RC ratio.

*Damn I'm glad you found this! I have been looking for this for a while!

I owe you all an apology.

Somehow even with marking the teeth I counted wrong.

The RC has the exact same # of teeth on the ring and pinion gears.

The RC rear diff [and I assume the CS/GrpA as well] is identical to the regular ST185 TORSEN diffs. It will bolt right in.*
Last edited by alltracman78 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby nbvolks » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:02 pm

damselracer wrote:a friend of mine that has owned a lot of toyotas over the years told me that, at least in the RWD celicas, the supras, the cressidas, and the trucks, the diff code will tell you whether its limited slip or open. If it ends in an even number, its an open diff, but if it ends in an odd number, its an LSD. Since thats just about everything RWD that Toyota makes, its safe to guess that would be true for the rear diffs in the alltracs as well.

Anyone who knows for SURE what theirs is and can tell us their diff code care to confirm or deny this?

&

Its on the sticker on the drivers door

on my blue 90 alltrac I have tranny code listed as
A/TM - 737/E150F

The 737 means something but not sure how to decode it (I know
on my 93 MR2 turbo that 735 indicates that the MR2 has limited
slip differential)

Why did no one else seem to follow up on this in this thread? I know this is the proven way to determine if a 93+ MR2 has a LSD. I also know that it's haw many other Toyota people have confirmed this. Seems that odd final numbers indicate the presence of a LSD (whether viscous, like the MR2 and others, or Torsen as would be the case on the All-trac) while even numbers indicate an open differential.
nbvolks
Club Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:12 pm

Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

So , Do i have a Torsen as well ???????

Postby SouthernViking » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:12 pm

acylon wrote:YES! That little faint M under the fin could be our ticket to identifying these friggin torsens! :D

Thank you boosted blue!

But we need more proof, we need to have an open st185 see if there is no M. And we need a Torsen st185 and to verify the M.

Marty, I love having Torsen in the rear. It seems to make the car more predictable in corners. And makes it drive alittle more lika a rear wheel drive. Better for inducing throttle on oversteer.

Now c'mon guys , y'all aint playing fair .......
here i am in Australia , with a JDM st185 ,{registered as an '89 model} dont know if its built in '89 , '90 , or '91 :doh: coz it dont have the built date stamped on the plate on the firewall.....
i've read this thread a few times today and am still non the wiser :twisted: , but
i do know its a GT4 that i have ............and i've posted here coz curiosity got me , so i slid under the G'car and saw my rear diff is just like the one which ACYLON posted a pic off on pg. 5 in this thread/forum .. same plug , the #1 on the housing AND the M or 3 or 8 ??? :oops: {whichever its meant to be}
off my details {following} , what can you all tell me {and wont it be great if i get 4 diferent versions} :lol:
DETAILS :
model : E-ST185-BLMVZ
engine : 3s-gte 1998 cc
frame : ST185-0002352
color : 6K8
trim : FQ10
trans / axle : E150F - 734
plant / built : A54
And finally , according to my rego. paper , the engine number is
3S9097526
:roll: I'm tired of presuming what i have and it would be really nice if all you
"officionado's" could put your minds to work for a few minutes and find some details :wink:
i have pics in "gallery" and yes , its a narrow body , which you folk apparently dont see many off and also RHD .......
i've owned it since Dec '06 and have'nt had time to decipher it all yet ..
All i know is , when i stomp the "fast" pedal , it goes fast and i hear the "hairdryer" whistle a bit 8) {WHICH IS SOOOO SWEET} ....
When i rev to 3k at standstill on bitumen and ease the clutch , it gets up 'n' boogies with no loss of GRIPTION {aussie slang for grip & traction :P }
When i do the same on gravel , i get equal wheelspin on all 4 wheels
and straightline acceleration when it grips as i plant 3rd gear
Overall , i dont mind what driveline i have as long it drags me to where i wanna go , but since you guys have so much info at hand , i figure , well , why not try and set you all a challenge to help me out :)
BY THE WAY , if i've posted this in the wrong spot , i apologise :shock:
Toyota says : We dare you to drive the SHITE out of our cars !!
the only prob. with TOYO's is they neva break down, so i hafta find new excuse's for being late for work all the time ....
SouthernViking

Postby alltracman78 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:46 pm

I thought I would add this here too, in case anyone missed my edit a few posts up.
I have previously stated the RC rear diff has a different ratio.
I was wrong. It is the same as the regular 185 ratio.

Southern Viking,
I just checked my 92. It came with a TORSEN rear diff. Codes are below.
737/E150F

I also had a 93 that did NOT come with TORSEN rear. Luckily I am moving my storage this week, so if someone would be so good as to bump this thread to remind me, I can check the door code on it [I still have the dr door].
Also, I have a wrecked 91. I don't know which is in it at the moment, but I can at least check the door sticker, assuming it's intact. :P
alltracman78
GTFour God

Postby eddie_gt4 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:58 am

alltracman78 wrote: (...) I just checked my 92. It came with a TORSEN rear diff. Codes are below.
737/E150F (...)

have I missed something? :shock:
737/E150F = 5 speed manual (older one) with viscous coupling LSD
TORSEN = 767 (and it usually (always?) comes with a E151F gearbox (newer one))

http://www.celica.dds.nl/en/celihist.htm
'90 Toyota Celica turbo 4WD ST185 - ex
'96 Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205 - now
eddie_gt4
Club Member

torsen or not ???

Postby SouthernViking » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:42 pm

Hey Eddie , Thanx mate , for the link to that write-up.... seems most of that info matches , but i'm still wondering about the "E" in the model line and also the "734" in the trans /axle line when you all are only mentioning 737/767....................................
i guess i'll lok again later aft i've had some sleep
ciao for now :?
Toyota says : We dare you to drive the SHITE out of our cars !!
the only prob. with TOYO's is they neva break down, so i hafta find new excuse's for being late for work all the time ....
SouthernViking

PreviousNext

Return to Drivetrain Central