Rear diff options...real LSD's...

gtfour77

CMS-GT4":1cb0mhw8 said:
LSd halfshafts are different. Thats the difference.

Yes, good point. But if anyone is getting the cusco unit , it already comes with a brand new set of axle stubs...so really you don't need anything besides seals if they are old... :wink:

lumbercis

Hmm, what is the price difference between an ST205 Torsen setup with half shafts and just getting the Cusco unit?

J.

CMS-GT4

That would mean the cusco lsd would be an awesome buy. Both half shafts run ~300 from the dealer.

gtfour77

Overall I wish I would have gone with Cusco in the first place instead of spending $500+ on a torsen that started going bad after the second autocross on it (had noise) and now is a paper weight... The cusco is fully rebuildable and heck of a lot more reliable, not to mention 1000% more effective and tunable with different fluids. And the fact that you can change it from 1 way to 2 way or from 1.5-Way to 2-Way (and anything in between with little bit of basic machining) makes it a really good choice...

All in all this is a must for an autocrosser if you can keep the front two wheels on the ground in turns that is...you want just a little tiny bit of lift in the rear which does not matter since the cusco unit still pulls the other wheel to get you out of a corner...

CMS-GT4

I was always worried about inside rear lift with the torsen unit, since it becomes and open dif w/o both wheels on the ground. I got very little rear lift once I switched to the teins.

gtfour77

I am soving inside rear lift with very stiff springs(both maina nd tenders) on the front which unfortunatelly doesn't help turn-in or breaking.... we need someone to make a bigger front bar.... :D

BTW the open/torsen diff WILL spin the inside rear even if it's touching ground with enough torque in a mid-sized sweeper...all it takes is a slight weight transfer to the front and it will spin the rear tire if you apply power early in the corner as is necessary in an AWD vehicle...so by the time you get past the apex you are at nighest cornering force (most weight transferedto the front) with maximum torque being transfered to the wheels (around 3200 to 4000 RPM corner/turbo dependant)...

CMS-GT4

Whiteline will make you a custom bar. Front or rear. If you contact them, you can get a larger diameter sway bar custom made. It was fairly priced too. I was going to do it years ago for the rear.

What year is your alltrac. If its 90-91, you can find a 92-93 front bar which is larger.

gtfour77

CMS-GT4":2prladd5 said:
Whiteline will make you a custom bar. Front or rear. If you contact them, you can get a larger diameter sway bar custom made. It was fairly priced too. I was going to do it years ago for the rear.

What year is your alltrac. If its 90-91, you can find a 92-93 front bar which is larger.

Really.... how much bigger is it? If so I can just order it through my TRD contingency for very decent price...hmmm.. thanks for the tip Josh! I remember some bars being 25mm and some 27mm...is that the difference?

CMS-GT4

I can't remember the specs. I know they are on the forum. But, the front bar is supposed to be larger for 92-93.

You might find one from a car being parted out on one of these forums for cheap.

I can't remember the price but I think whiteline charged in the 150-170usd range to make the custom rear bar last time I asked. There is a st205 member who had a custom front bar made, but I think it was from a different company.

BTW, are you running a solid diff mount? I am curious how much flex the oem mount produces under racing conditions.

I still wonder how much caster could affect rear inside lift. Thats an expensive mod though. In the $400-500 range for the caster/camber plate.

gtfour77

CMS-GT4":z5p7mzz8 said:
BTW, are you running a solid diff mount? I am curious how much flex the oem mount produces under racing conditions.

I still wonder how much caster could affect rear inside lift. Thats an expensive mod though. In the $400-500 range for the caster/camber plate.

Yup, still on the stock rear diff mount..no problems at all... I actually prefer it for the 2-step take offs, it's not as harsh on the gear set and axles... but I could be completelly wrong... :shrug:

Caster will affect mostly turn in only AFAIK... I am runnign cusco front camber plates and stock rears which will get replaced witha solid mounts soon... Thanks again for the front bar info, I will definitelly change it for the 2009 season...

lumbercis

Wow, if the half shafts are an additional $300, then there really isn't much reason not to go with the Cusco.

OT: Marteen, do you have any sponsors other than the TRD contingency? You do so much R&D for us I feel like we should sponsor you. Of course we are all broke... :wink: Have you approached any of the mr2oc vendors? Might help with engine stuff at least.

J.

CMS-GT4

lumbercis":vqyuaf9j said:
Wow, if the half shafts are an additional $300, then there really isn't much reason not to go with the Cusco.

Unless they already have a torsen that is.

gtfour77

lumbercis":3l1f9dnq said:

OT: Marteen, do you have any sponsors other than the TRD contingency? You do so much R&D for us I feel like we should sponsor you. Of course we are all broke... :wink: Have you approached any of the mr2oc vendors? Might help with engine stuff at least.
J.

Yes, it's really worth it if you have an open diff...

As far as sponsors, I have all of the basic contingencies through SCCA (TRD, Hoosier, Hawk) Next year I'll be concentrating on Pro Solo since it's almost $1000 worth of stuff for each win. (2 free Hoosier tires, $200 from TRD and $100 from Hawk) I'd like to win a few more before talking to more sponsors...

gtfour77

Ok, here is a comparison for those interested. It's not the best video but it's the only one I had from the last event.... As you can see the car is getting out of corners much faster without much slipping...and the little bit that it has will be eliminated by reducing friction modifier amount in the diff fluid...next event is at BeaveRun on the 31st so we'll what it has with the newly tuned diff , higher rate springs and good tires... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjuBCgPU9w

CMS-GT4

It looks like that rear end just rotates around now and you burn less rubber.

How the rotation of the car feel now? More throttle modulated? Does the rear have more grip now too?

gtfour77

For this past event the diff was set on "soft" with more friction modifier than needed... it felt really good with minimal change in driving besides the fact that the inside rear didn't spin as much and the car went forward a lot quicker than before. I am getting ready to change the fluid and will use lot less FM so I am sure the feel will change some but not expecting much of a difference...
You can sort of rotate the car around a corner with throttle pretty easily and it's very predictable. I was looking at some of my older videos and I am 100% sure I can make up a lot of time by getting on gas earlier without "waiting" for the car to settle and the open/torsen diff to catch up... It just wasn't fun to have the power/grip and not be able to use it....just plain frustrating to be honest. (some of the longer speepers can feel like an eternity with an open/torsen diff...heh)