Rear diff options...real LSD's...

CMS-GT4

On a related note. We should also be able to use the rear LSDs for the Rav4. At least the models with a compatible gearbox. TRD made a rear lsd for the rav 4. I know a torsen was an option, but I am unsure if that was considered the trd dif for the rav4 or a clutch pack was offered as well.

One of these threads around here lists the ratio of the rear dif. If we could verify the ratio of other rear difs that may increase rear lsd options. There was a rumor a while back that the ae86 and is200 rear diffs were the same ratio as the alltrac. I have not seen proof though.

darthripley

One thing to note regarding the AE86 rear diff is the TRD clutch type uses the same clutch plates as the ST205 ... the replacement clutch plates/repair kit are the same part numbers.

I kind of wondered if you could fit an AE86 TRD clutch type in a ST205 rear diff, but I haven't done enough reasearch on the gear ratios yet.

CMS-GT4

If the at.net info is correct then this is the rear dif ratio: 2.928.

I am not sure if toyota makes another rear dif that matches unless maybe the rav4. I am curious if the 185 housing was used that if most other toyota rear difs would work in the housing and rely on the 185s dif ratio.

Landon

bring this back from the dead.... lol. any more info on the cusco diff? i want to get and lsd and i have an open diff right now. is it a direct drop in if you get the cusco one? the price i found seems a lil steep. lol

CMS-GT4

If Martin still has his, I would try and buy it from him if I were you. No rear lsd option for our car is cheap other than buying a second hand torsen.

darthripley

^ exactly. martin had that cusco for sale for an absolute steal of a price. i would have picked it up if i didn't already have the trd 2-way clutch type lsd.

and you don't just plop an lsd into the pumpkin. you have to have the backlash set correctly by a shop or someone who knows what they are doing.

CMS-GT4

Yep. If my funds were not going to restore myself I would have upgraded from the torsen to his cusco. I did manage to buy a few of his other goodies though.

Landon

well fancy the fact i just got the highest score on my manual transmissions class where we just went over backlash and pinion depth. lol. anyways, thanks guys and i'll try an find this martin fella and ask him. Josh, if you ever upgrade look me up if you wanna get rid of your torsen.

TRDTurko

cant wait to get one of the cuscos for my 165! no more open diff :D
So you like the 1 way for autocross?
Anybody else use a 1.5 or 2 way?