why is it so EFFIN hard to shift to reverse!?

Corey

On my car, If it doesnt pop into reverse the first time, I re-engage the clutch for a sec, and try again.

If that fails, i try 1st, then reverse.

CMS-GT4

I always have to let halfway out on the clutch. Same goes for first. It sometimes goes smooth, but seems to need help. I have been wondering if my clutch slaver cylinder might not be doing it's job.

etantshi

Generally if it's hard to put into reverse, put it back in to neutral release the clutch, re-engage it, then put it into reverse. As previously mentioned this works quite well with the all trac and other cars who have no syncro for reverse. That tidbit comes directly from the owners manual.

darthripley

i always do the neutral then reverse b/c very rarely will it go to reverse on the 1st try.
i just thought it was an older toyota thing since the MR2 does it also :shrug:

WarTowels

Weird. 214k on mine, and I have no issues getting into reverse? Or any gear for that matter.

Once in great great while (like 1 in 20) on my GT, I'll have to try twice to get in reverse but that's it.

-Towels

WELL LADEEDAAH MR TOWELS ya lucky sonofa... jus kidding guy, but seriously tho ALL my tracs did it to me? i donno maybe it matters who drives it before you get it type thing, all mine had questionable owners before i bought em.. :shrug: im over it tho haha

toayoztan

Conan":keeps7ds said:
Maybe because there's no synchro on it? :shrug: :D

Ditto.

A) Make sure the car is completely stopped/not rolling.

B) Ease/wiggle/feel it into the reverse gear, don't push and try to jam it in.

C) Otherwise, if it is still hard, I left off the clutch, and push back in, before attempting to slide it in gear again.

Bryan

ive been testing different ways to do this, i found the best way (for my rig at least) is if it dont go into reverse rite away i just keep a lil pressure on the shifter backwards and let up on the clutch a tiny bit and it pops right in... dont make sense to me maybe an early sign of clutch failure :shrug:

crazy_russian

As Conan said, there is no syncro on reverse. By shifting to any other gear then to reverse you can use a syncro of that gear to shift into reverse.