Cheap front LSD's

Lets talk clutches and everything drivetrain related

Postby Simba » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Believe it when I see it as the packaging in our gearbox is an utter nightmare, which is why the TTE front diff is insanely expensive, but if someone can do it I'd be in for one. (or two)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!

Lots of fast, loud things.
Simba
Established Member

Postby Georonimo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Would the diff be the same between my ST205 transmission and earlier generations? Does anyone happen to have one of these just hanging around that could be sent to M-factory for measurements/prototyping?

I'm going to contact them later today and see if we can get the ball rolling on this.

Thanks for your reply's.
Georonimo
Club Member

Postby mike325ci » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:11 pm

i'd also be interested and will join a group buy if it happens.
NYC, NY, USA
Teal '92 ST185 (Current), Black '88 ST165 (Sold)
Founder, Kabiela - DIY & Enthusiast Marketplace (diybuysell.com)
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:51 pm

Georonimo wrote:Would the diff be the same between my ST205 transmission and earlier generations? Does anyone happen to have one of these just hanging around that could be sent to M-factory for measurements/prototyping?

I'm going to contact them later today and see if we can get the ball rolling on this.

Thanks for your reply's.

The diff should work for st205s and 185s. I think it will work for 165s after the locking gearbox design. If any one has a hyper rev laying around you can see what models the TRD front/center lsd combo is for. Mine are all in boxes, or I would look myself.
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Plan on this being alot more expensive then a FWD LSD, if it even gets made at all. AllTracs/GT-Fours have the front and center LSD built into one assembly. Like Simba said it is a packaging nightmare and that is why the LSDs that where made are super expensive.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby YerRandO » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:31 pm

CMS-GT4 wrote:If any one has a hyper rev laying around you can see what models the TRD front/center lsd combo is for. Mine are all in boxes, or I would look myself.

Just checked and it doesn't list which models
1990 Alltrac -white: Garage Queen

-James
YerRandO
Club Member

Postby Wolf_Tm250 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:19 pm

CMS-GT4 wrote:I think the main concern will be fore those with a decent amount of power and running to the limits of their cars handling. From what I have been reading about tracked 4s (185 & 205) is that they are having front inside wheel spin on corner exit.

YES !

If you make it, I could be in...
even if I think a spinning wheel is now saving my gearbox from exploding... :D
Wolf_Tm250
Gt-Four ST205 [2.34kg/hp DynoDynamics]
http://www.youtube.com/WolfTm250

DynoJet whp are false, and closer to other dynos FW hp. Please specify what dyno are your Whp from.
http://www.factorypro.com/magazine/dynojet_dyno_inflated_hp_reason.html
Wolf_Tm250
Club Member

Postby alltrac101 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Just a thought, on my radio control race car a front LSD made it push, I had to take it out....It makes more sense for acceleration grip....
On a side note the dyno jet readings thru out the acceleration the REAR gets more than 50% (one reading showed 59) of the power to the ground....At the drag strip, after the run the rears were chunking. I think for some reason the carbon shaft amplifies the rear power

Pat
Home of the 210 mph Standing Mile Celica AllTrac
alltrac101
Club Member

Re:

Postby CMS-GT4 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:27 pm

alltrac101 wrote:Just a thought, on my radio control race car a front LSD made it push, I had to take it out....It makes more sense for acceleration grip....

What kind of diff was it? Clutch, or helical?
I am have an interesting issue of grassroots motor sports that compares handling characteristics on front lsds that I need to dig up.
The problem for us seems to be on corner exit. I remember some racers from back in the yahoo lists described the fastest way around the course in these cars was slow in, fast out. So if we could tune the suspension to help maintain the current corner entry push, if the new lsd increases the effect, the corner exit speed should hopefully be further improved to get faster lap times.

Fensport has had lots of success with their TRD front lsd for their Y2K gtfour and TTA has been winning rallies in their Gtfour powered corolla with their clutch front lsd and active center diff.

alltrac101 wrote:On a side note the dyno jet readings thru out the acceleration the REAR gets more than 50% (one reading showed 59) of the power to the ground....At the drag strip, after the run the rears were chunking. I think for some reason the carbon shaft amplifies the rear power
Pat

Do you think this could have any long term affects on the center diff? Do you think this is the result of less energy lost with a single piece rather than a multi piece driveshaft or something else?
Coldiron
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Re: Cheap front LSD's

Postby alltrac101 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:59 pm

Josh, its a clutch type, but when I'm on the gas after the apex it pushes, which means the torsen would do the same since it senses torque load.

>Do you think this could have any long term affects on the center diff?
No, the center diff is mechanical (off the top of my head, I think it has 5 spider gears) while the control coupling takes power from the center diff. it acts as a lsd (its a clutch type), between the center & rear output

What are you guys looking for
1) a front LSD only or
2) a front & center LSD

if there is a center torsen LSD we could take the viscous coupling out & put a spool...that would be the trick while saving a lot of weight

Pat
Home of the 210 mph Standing Mile Celica AllTrac
alltrac101
Club Member

Postby gt4tified » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:38 pm

If I were ever to get a front LSD, I would have the centre diff. locked, pretty much like what TTE ended up doing. I hear it gets a bit unpredictable with LSD's all around.
ST185 JDM GT-FOUR RC- "White Trash"
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8264/dynographsmallstretchedmu9.jpg[/img][/url]
gt4tified
GTFour God

Postby Georonimo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:00 pm

I'm waiting for a response from the powers that be at M-Factory to see if they are interested.

Thanks for all of the input.
Georonimo
Club Member

Postby Georonimo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:05 pm

Alrighty, the ball is rolling. Here is the reply I received from Stephen at M-Factory:

Hello Jorge,

thank you for your email. Do you have any images of the oem differential? We do actually have an LSD for the 3S-GTE, but this is for the MR2, so not sure if this will work with the AWD.

if you could see if you can find some decent images for me so that I can see what we're up against here :)

Thanks,

Stephen

That said, does anyone have a few clear/hi res pictures of one of these differential assemblies? I'm assuming they are interchangeable between the different generations.
Please post a link or email them to me at Georonimo at gmail dot com

Thanks!
Georonimo
Club Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:39 pm

Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Georonimo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:04 pm

CMS-GT4 wrote:The only pics I have.
http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/differential.htm

Awesome! I'll shoot the link over and post the reply.

Thanks
Georonimo
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Drivetrain Central