uprated viscous cupplings

Lets talk clutches and everything drivetrain related

Re: uprated viscous cupplings

Postby temperacerguy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:27 am

st185-sainz wrote:meanwhile the exchange rate changed and it got worse for you!

if you calculate the shipping costs and really think over the effort of cutting this part and welding it together again - so that it works better than before - you will see that it is not that much money.

but what I found out is, that a hand full of people have got genuine tte parts (x-trac) and the rest is searching a front lsd although their front rear distribution is shit. nobody really bought anything that was discussed!

drivetrain components are expensive! my rear lsd was around 1000EUR, the VC was a prototype and was also more expensive - so the price is valid for finding at least 3 people.

I have enough VC at home and can let them made for a deposit and can ship them to you! so you can exchange it on one evening...

While I agree that the VC is very important... I just find it a true waste to ship the damn thing around the world, for what is essentially a (albeit difficult) fluid change...

We are not buying a driveline component here, we are buying a fluid, and we are paying for the cost of having the coupling cut apart, and welded back together... Now I know fabrication, and this will probably be cut on a lathe, and then TIG welded back together... but we're still only talking an hour cutting (MAX MAX MAX) and an hour TIG welding Even at a HUGE fabrication rate of $100 per hour, you're still paying nearly $600 for a quart or two of a fluid.... seems pretty extreme.

Can we just buy the fluid from them/you and have the service performed here?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
the VIS hood group buy is now closed.... you missed out!
temperacerguy
Club Member

Postby st185-sainz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:36 am

TTE thought the same and let their grN VC made in Europe!

if it is really that easy like you say and you find a shop that can open and weld the unit, they will have the fluid and the test facility to make it right to your specifications!

we can arrange that I sell a whole unit to you - not on exchange. for 100EUR extra we can do that.
Mario,
ST205 blue: completely stock
ST185CS (white): white - gravel/snow spec, dog box, TRD clutch, uprated turbo, lightened flywheel, uprated actuator, cold air intake, ST182 cams, walbro pump, batt relocation, forgies, programmable ECU (dyno), ...
st185-sainz
Club Member

Postby temperacerguy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:41 am

and now I see why this thread died.
the VIS hood group buy is now closed.... you missed out!
temperacerguy
Club Member

Postby sleeper » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:14 pm

temperacerguy wrote:
st185-sainz wrote:meanwhile the exchange rate changed and it got worse for you!

if you calculate the shipping costs and really think over the effort of cutting this part and welding it together again - so that it works better than before - you will see that it is not that much money.

but what I found out is, that a hand full of people have got genuine tte parts (x-trac) and the rest is searching a front lsd although their front rear distribution is shit. nobody really bought anything that was discussed!

drivetrain components are expensive! my rear lsd was around 1000EUR, the VC was a prototype and was also more expensive - so the price is valid for finding at least 3 people.

I have enough VC at home and can let them made for a deposit and can ship them to you! so you can exchange it on one evening...

While I agree that the VC is very important... I just find it a true waste to ship the damn thing around the world, for what is essentially a (albeit difficult) fluid change...

We are not buying a driveline component here, we are buying a fluid, and we are paying for the cost of having the coupling cut apart, and welded back together... Now I know fabrication, and this will probably be cut on a lathe, and then TIG welded back together... but we're still only talking an hour cutting (MAX MAX MAX) and an hour TIG welding Even at a HUGE fabrication rate of $100 per hour, you're still paying nearly $600 for a quart or two of a fluid.... seems pretty extreme.

Can we just buy the fluid from them/you and have the service performed here?

I can see why you think that this is to expencive, but since i have done this myself ( but used chemical metall to "weld" it) i can see why they charge what they do.

IOt`s not as fast as you would think it is.. just the cleaning process takes a LOOONG time! there are 110 plates that needs to be cleaned seperatly, and the fluid that is in there is STICKY!..
It was the first time i did this, and i guess i would have done it faster if i where to do it another time but i did use 5-6 hours to clean the discs..

So, cutting up the unit, cleaning it, reassemble it, fluid, rewldning it, does take quite some time.. That and the fact that they are the only ones that does it i think justifys that it cost what it does.. ( remember that this is not one of the first mods you do to a alltrac.. so by the time you choose to do it you have used way more money on it and this will just be another drop in the sea..)

Anyway, i`m happy that someone does it, but would be nice to have a link to a way of checking rep of the company ( name) before you pay money to somone..
89 ST165: 9.89/144 daily driver during summer. 711AWHP.
sleeper
Club Member

Postby lumbercis » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:47 pm

@temperacerguy: if it is that easy and you know fabrication, why don't you do it and sell it to us?

I agree with Mario; drivetrain parts are expensive. $800 seems reasonable, esp when you consider there is only one source for this and it's in Europe. We have a rare car. Custom upgrades for it cost money.

Also, Mario is one of the best vendors on this board. I highly doubt he would suddenly start gouging us for no reason. I hope this is still available in the future once I do some other maintenance and I'd consider it $800 well spent. :)
Caldina powered...
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby darthripley » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:36 pm

^ exactly. all of it well said.

Even off the shelf drivetrain parts aren't exactly cheap.
Good luck finding any good quality clutch type rear LSD for under $1200 & that is not even installed with correct backlash set etc + the proper fluid isn't cheap either.

I have no problem with someone wanting to do something themselves but there's no need to bash someone for the price they are asking for a service that no one else offers, especially for our cars.
86 RN66 Hilux 4x4 Turbo Truck "Falcon" 22RTE
87 AW11 MR2 "Super 2" 4AGZE
90 ST185 Celica AllTrac "Vadar" 3SGTE
99 SXV20 Camry "Maul" 5SFE
Female Moderator
darthripley
All Trac Goddess

Postby st185-sainz » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:42 pm

we can do it the same way I did with josh (coldiron) and my diffmounts! I sent him one on little money and if the product is as promissed I get the rest I'm asking for it. And he did a writeup about the parts. So people trusted in me and up to now I sold around 100 kits all over the world! If a parcel got lost, I sent an other one immediately.

I have enough of VC at home to let them rebuilt to a specific torque (depends if someone still wants to use the handbrake or not). But I have to spend a lot of money to do 3 or 5 to get a better price on my risk. If I do not sell them, I can put them into the bin in some years...

It was just an offer for you US guys to improve driveability of the car. But it is not a must! Some people put more money in their engine, other into drivetrain...
Mario,
ST185CS (white): white - gravel/snow spec, dog box, TRD clutch, uprated turbo, lightened flywheel, uprated actuator, cold air intake, ST182 cams, walbro pump, batt relocation, forgies, programmable ECU (dyno), ...
st185-sainz
Club Member

Postby st185-sainz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:42 am

hi,

as some people wrote inquiry in the near past I can see a chance to do a group buy on those parts.

I calculated the prices again and talked to my supplier if he is still doing this services and upgrades. I can offer the following package now:
- Visco Unit tested on entry
- Machining and Welding
- Setting torque to suggested value (around 175Nm is stock, 300-350Nm recommended - all tested at 50rpm)
- it is not on exchange and shipping your visco around the world - you will get a whole unit!

this all goes for 595EUR included Visco Unit shipped to your door (+ paypal fee)

To get this price we have to find at least three people. Who is in for this?!

mario
Mario,
st185-sainz
Club Member

Postby underscore » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:28 pm

In about a year I'll be all over this.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby ALLensTRAC » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:50 pm

I am interested but I want to wait until the Quaife front LSD is done. That way I can do them together. Will these still be available in about a year(at the group buy price or not)?
Allen
Allen

1992 Toyota Celica Alltrac "Never ending Project"
2014 Lexus CT200h Redline/Black "Daily project"
2006 Toyota Highlander Wifes daily
ALLensTRAC
Club Member

Postby abraxxa » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi Mario, is this an option for the ST205 too?
I think we should meet for a talk :D
facelift ST205
abraxxa
Club Member

Postby st185-sainz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:14 pm

This works on all 3 generations. Maybe early ST165 were different. Caldina is also different, but I would have one from ST215 at home too that can also be done.

I already thought of offering this to some of you austrian guys as well...get me an email if you are interested!

Mario
Mario,
st185-sainz
Club Member

Postby BADNEWS » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm in! I can ship you one as I have my trans apart plus an extra one laying around.
90 ST185 W/ HTZ4094R (6768), 2.2, Fully Built
865AWHP, 591 torque
Hope to have some 1/4 times this summer of 2016!!!
BADNEWS
Club Member

Postby swsupermoto » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm intrested and in the uk, could post mine.
swsupermoto

Postby bridge47 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:33 pm

Mario, I sent you a PM.
Yet another black 93 ST185.....

Facts are stubborn things.
bridge47
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Drivetrain Central