Doesnt want to go into gear HELP!

Hotrodhendrix

My last transmission went out because of a bad tranny line that dumped all my fluid. So I pulled the motor did some other stuff while I was in there and put on a new JDM transmission that I picked up. All lines were removed during rebuild so I had to bleed my clutch line again.

Car starts and idles around 1k
Wont go into gear when its on
Will go into gear when its off
When you start it in a gear the idle will drop and the car will try to die

When I bleed the slave its never pops of air like in the brakes but more of a fiz.. Like if you shake a soda almost of air and fluid. I dont remember it doing this before so it worries me.

Any ideas?

LegacyofDan

if it comes out like fizz then there is an issue. it is not suppose to do that. the slaves are pretty cheap, i know joe(terracar) wrote up a how to to rebuild them and you can get a new one pretty cheap as well.

Hotrodhendrix

Ok rebuilt the slave but still nothing. I drove it a bit and got it to go into gear a little but now it wont release at all.

Next question... Can you remove the transmission without having to pull the motor?

Andy

Have you checked that the slave is pushing the clutch arm in? If that arm is not moving, I would find out why before pulling the motor/trans. As to how far the arm should move, "as it should", I think about 3/4 inch, look at your old slave to see what the travel distance looks like. That is how far it should be pushing the clutch arm.

Any fluid inside the car from the master?

Also, if the master cylinder has an "internal leak", where it leaks back into the reservoir, but no external leaking... you loose "pushing" fluid to the slave (that leaked back into the reservoir) and the the slave won't push the clutch arm as far as it should. I've had this happen, a symptom was: "pumping" the clutch (like you're bleeding the brakes) first, then hold and shift, made it better, easier to get into gear. Easy test, try it.

You might also try, having somebody pump the pedal, then hold it solid on the floor for a couple of minutes. While they are holding to the floor, the clutch arm should not creep. If it does, fluid is leaving the slave and going somewhere.

Andy

Hotrodhendrix

Yep I had an internal leak in the slave but I have rebuilt it now. It moves the fork just fine. Something in there isnt working as it should.