Looking for a old clutch disc

Anyone?....My machinist need a clutch disc to verify fitment of the splines on the input shaft. It can be a worn out disc as I just need the spline area & will probably wont be sent back to you....contact me, I'll send you some money for your troubles & shipping to him...thanks

Pat

Gary ST165

some relevant info: http://www.gt4oc.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65157&hilit=spline

coyoteboy":gxjk7rzl said:
Well I've been looking at TCB clutches, the OEM (Aisin) clutch has two part numbers - one for early 185 and before and one for late 185 and after. These have slightly different (1mm) diameter spline specs. Heres the info:

165 and Early 185:
Part No : CTY41076
* Description : Clutch Kit
* Disc Diameter: 236
* Spline: 21x29.8

Late 185 and 205:
Part No : CTY41122
* Description : Clutch Kit
* Disc Diameter: 236
* Spline: 21x28.8

Since Aisin are the sole providors of gearboxes and clutches to Toyota (according to a long-term Ex-toyota man I know) I would suspect they are correct in their specification. So now it seems all aftermarket clutches are made to to early specs (29.8mm) in order to cover both but with the added risk of having a smaller amount of tooth contact on the late spec box. Obviously this saves on cost but will add problems with clutch alignment, off-centre loading of the clutch and early wear. Which explains why a lot of cheaper-end clutches (XTD etc) are prone to fail on this engine/box combo but seem to be fine in other makes of car.

I've measured my 205 box and that has a shaft spline diam of 28.3mm (thought it was 28.5 but its less), now assuming you have some assembly tolerance that leaves 1.6mm diameter difference between the actual 205 box and the aftermarket clutch (which is quoted as 29.8 by Exedy and a few others). Thats a HUGE amount of play IMO, far more than Ive seen on any other splined situation. I'll have a look at how my 185 clutch failed and see if its aftermarket etc... Wait for more info!

right, further information:

Aisin's own part cataloguge quotes all boxes are 28.8 splines, all friction discs are the same, all throwout bearings are the same but pressure plates were upgraded as of 06/'91 so a late 185 clutch is the same as a 205 and an early 185 is the same as the 165 in every way and part number on their database (and since they make it for Toyota I'd hope they're right!).

But the problem is all aftermarket places state all splines are 29.8mm diameter and all 185 pressure plates are the same. Now i can see how they might just economise and use the same pressure plate for all (the uprated one) but the splines are definitely "wrong". I'm on to a couple of them and they seems fairly interested with the findings. My findings from gearbox measurements fit their comments on all boxes having 28.8mm splines.

29.8mm splines are found on the 3S-GE boxes and could be part of the reason for the mistake- aftermarkets may have assumed they were all the same but with a larger friction disc diam on the turbo.

IMO this would explain the many failures of cheaper aftermarket clutches and the reason the Toyota clutch is considered a very good option.

Well having checked and double checked, and got measurements from boxes from 165s/185s and 205s i can say theres no sodding certainty. I've got measurements off all 3 models that range from 27.5 to 29mm. Both my personal 205 and early 185 boxes have less than 28.3mm shafts. :S

Therefore I guess you can only conclude that the tolerance quality on the input shafts is absolute crap. No info back from any manufacturers - they're all keeping schtum - pointless having contact addresses.

i don't know if that is relevant to your query. hey ho. just trying to be helpful. good luck Pat ;)

Thanks Gary

Without personally measuring the spline, I thought they were all the same, especially taking clutches from 165 trannys to 185 to 205, they all seem to have the same back lash. I just counted the # of splines & shaft dia.....If thats the case then a 92-93 clutch will work fine

Pat