89 alltrac camry --rear diff needed. pls help

yanni

Hello All

It’s been a while since I have been on this site. Hope you all are enjoying your Alltracs. I have a dark blue 89 Camry LE Alltrac 4 cylinder. It’s my most prized possession. I take care of it very meticulously. Anyways, it has been brought to my attention that I need some work done to my rear diff, and all the car shops I go to tell me it’s cheaper to scrap the car then to fix it. Well I am not taking nonsense!! The car is brand new. Mint condition in and out and well maintained all on my sweat. Ironically, all those places conveniently offered to buy it from me as well. Go figure eh?
If anyone out there has any advice for me or has a spare rear diff lying around, it would make my dream come true. Look forward to hearing for you guys

Cheers,

yanni

Thanks for your message. I started to notice that there was an oil leak coming from the rear diff. So I assumed that it was the gasket seal. So when I went to the mechanics, they have told me that they need to drop the diff and work ok it. This would mean that they would take it apart and spend over 8-9 hours on it. Then someone told me that if I could get my hands on a used one, all they would have to do it drop the old one and put the new (used) one in.

phattyduck

I'm with you on the Alltrac Camry... :D

Mine is an '89 LE, but light blue:
IMG_00441.jpg

Your best bet is to start doing as much of the work yourself as possible. Replacing the seals on the diff should be cheap (parts), and removing the diff isn't hard if you have some time and a garage (and tools, I suppose...).

-Charlie