clutch not fully disengaging

Lets talk clutches and everything drivetrain related

clutch not fully disengaging

Postby Landon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:09 pm

hey guys, clutch isn't disengaging. i can shift into first then try to start my car with the clutch in and it lurches forward. can't be in gear stopped with the clutch in or it wants to keep going. ideas? and what fluid do you use?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
White 1995 BMW M3
Black '90 st185 Sold :(
Landon
Established Member

Re: clutch not fully disengaging

Postby YerRandO » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:39 pm

check your slave cylinder
1990 Alltrac -white: Garage Queen

-James
YerRandO
Club Member

Postby BoostedBlueToyotas » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:48 pm

When this happened to me it was a spring from the clutch disk getting wedged into the assembly (ie.. thats what that sprong sound was when I launched). Ended up replacing the clutch .... ouch.
Tim Plessing
Columbia, MD

1990 ST185 - blue/blue cloth 152K-SOLD
1993 MR2 turbo - blue/black leather 59K TOTALLED/PARTING OUT
2006 Acura TSX - black/black 6 spd
2006 Mini Cooper S JCW Space blue/Silver roof 39k
2006 Mini Cooper JCW Silver/black roof 34k
BoostedBlueToyotas
Established Member

Postby Landon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:34 am

bled the lines. slave works. theres a rattling sound when i get it rolling. thinkin its the pressure plate...
White 1995 BMW M3
Landon
Established Member

Postby Landon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:08 am

so i ordered a new clutch master. hope that'll do the trick.
White 1995 BMW M3
Landon
Established Member

Postby RafaCalde » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:55 pm

don't know if this similar. My pedal presses in but then it doesn't spring back. No fluid has been lost. Gonna bleed the system, but just wondering if it's the same problem or if anyone else has suggestions.
Rafa

1990 White ST185 w/ Carlos Sainz motor, ecu, and tranny
RafaCalde
Club Member

Postby Xiansheng » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:03 am

RafaCalde wrote:don't know if this similar. My pedal presses in but then it doesn't spring back. No fluid has been lost. Gonna bleed the system, but just wondering if it's the same problem or if anyone else has suggestions.
If I remember correctly, I had this a long long time ago on an Acura Legend of mine.. it was the clutch slave cylinder on the tranny, replaced it, bled lines and was good to go... if I remember correctly, I Think, I remember I pressed pedal and just BANG stayed on floor, then when you pull it up by hand, would BANG, pop to the top.. my memory might be failing me, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was, clutch slave cylinder.. found a good one at the scrap I think. Hard to remember, long time ago, many cars ago.
'91 GT-Four RC
Xiansheng
Club Member

Postby Landon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:29 am

sounds like you have air in the system. the symptoms you describe sound hydraulic. so look for slave and master problems, but start with bleeding the system to see if that fixes it. my problem ended up being broken springs in the clutch disk. these were stuck under the diaphram spring so it wouldn't disengage. obviously didn't find this out untill i had everything apart, so replacing the clutch fixed it all. :)
White 1995 BMW M3
Landon
Established Member

Postby RafaCalde » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:14 am

Xiansheng wrote:
RafaCalde wrote:don't know if this similar. My pedal presses in but then it doesn't spring back. No fluid has been lost. Gonna bleed the system, but just wondering if it's the same problem or if anyone else has suggestions.
If I remember correctly, I had this a long long time ago on an Acura Legend of mine.. it was the clutch slave cylinder on the tranny, replaced it, bled lines and was good to go... if I remember correctly, I Think, I remember I pressed pedal and just BANG stayed on floor, then when you pull it up by hand, would BANG, pop to the top.. my memory might be failing me, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was, clutch slave cylinder.. found a good one at the scrap I think. Hard to remember, long time ago, many cars ago.

This is exacty what's happening. Would replacing just the internals on the slave do just as well as replacing the whole thing? I have a slave rebuild kit in my stock.

Landon wrote:sounds like you have air in the system. the symptoms you describe sound hydraulic. so look for slave and master problems, but start with bleeding the system to see if that fixes it. my problem ended up being broken springs in the clutch disk. these were stuck under the diaphram spring so it wouldn't disengage. obviously didn't find this out untill i had everything apart, so replacing the clutch fixed it all. :)

Truly hope it's not the springs. ACT 6 puck sprung with heavy duty plate. Installed just barely 1 year ago. Has less than 4k miles on it. Won't know anything for sure until I bleed the line anyway. Fingers crossed.
Rafa

RafaCalde
Club Member

Postby Xiansheng » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:44 am

Truly man, I have no idea about a rebuild kit or trying to open it up and fixing it n things like that,
but I would try to bleed the lines like Landon suggested before you do anything else, might get lucky.

about rebilding, I dunnnoooo man, I would just go to some JDM engine shop with 3sgte motors and bug them till they sell you a nice one off a tranny they have there. ;) probably can find one with super low 40,000km on it all shiny clean black..lol.. sparkling ... lol

Good luck man...
'91 GT-Four RC
Xiansheng
Club Member

Postby RafaCalde » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:10 pm

as refering to the clutch slave. you can order slave cylinder rebuild kits. it comes with a new piston, boot, and valve cap.

as for the engine, it's already a jdm cs edition. won't be reuilt for a long time.
Rafa

RafaCalde
Club Member

Postby Terracar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:46 am

Your syptoms sounds like the clutch plate springs blew out. I have had it happen several times. I will put $20 on it. If it isn't well then give me your paypal and you just made $20 :P

-Terracar
'92 'trac - Demon - currently in need of some reconstructive surgery.
Terracar
Established Member

Postby RafaCalde » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:52 am

Don't now if 20 bucks is worth dropping the trans. Plus I have no means of checking that. No tools, lift or garage. I moved to Boston in the july and left everything in florida. One thing I forgot to mention was that it only does it when the car is on. Don't know if that makes difference. I looked inside my clutch resevoir, and the fluid is clear, lower than when I filled it last summer when the motor and trans were dropped, and it looks like there is grease settle at the bottom of it. It's the best way I can describe it.
Rafa

RafaCalde
Club Member

Return to Drivetrain Central