What can the stock axles handle?!

Brad_91

Hello everyone,

I am curious to know what the max HP is that the stock axles can handle. I am going on Monday to get my front ones rebuilt and they offer stage 1 that can handle 400whp. In the long term I may want to go for 300+whp but I'm not sure if its worth the extra 100 bucks or whatever it will be. Anyone know by any chance? Is it safe to run stock axles with that kind of power or will I end up blowing them off of the car?

Brad_91

THanks for the thread, I will read through it!
And it's just a company around my place called CV tech. Apparently they rebuild axles on all cars to different stages :S. The stage 1 to 350whp is guaranteed for life as well so it seems like a good deal to me!

celicat93

Brad_91":1sm74ral said:
THanks for the thread, I will read through it!
And it's just a company around my place called CV tech. Apparently they rebuild axles on all cars to different stages :S. The stage 1 to 350whp is guaranteed for life as well so it seems like a good deal to me!

Sure thing, it sounds like the consensus seems to be that problems are rare but they do happen, perhaps due to a fault in manufacturing. I'm not an expert on the issue, but I think that the OEM will hold up for the power levels you're talking about. It's when you begin approaching the 500hp area that you need to start looking into beefed up parts. Glad to know about that company though! Nice to know there's a place that can help you out if you break one!

Brad_91

Ya in my case it was totally my fault. The CV boots in the front were both cracked when I bought the car last year and never replaced them. Now I'm starting to get nasty noises :( . Pretty stupid on my part so I wanna make sure I get them done right now. It's $175 per axle for the stage 1 I believe and $50 to have them taken out, and installed. Seems like a good deal for a lifetime warranty...

celicat93

Brad_91":2oo72gdw said:
Ya in my case it was totally my fault. The CV boots in the front were both cracked when I bought the car last year and never replaced them. Now I'm starting to get nasty noises :( . Pretty stupid on my part so I wanna make sure I get them done right now. It's $175 per axle for the stage 1 I believe and $50 to have them taken out, and installed. Seems like a good deal for a lifetime warranty...

Uh oh, hope there isn't damage to the inner joints, that's the real concern.

Brad_91

Ya. They are gonna inspect it all for me but I'm really hoping everything will work out! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed..

I broke front left stub that goes into the diff. I had it remade where the stub could be separated from mounting flange to CV joint and replaced. It only happends on front left as I am told. When it happends you have to weld a bolt to it and pull it out of the diff with a slide hammer.

sleeper

As long as they are in good condition, they will handle what ever you give them.. ( 4wd )

Just get a stock one if one of yours is broken... ( i have seen a few broken axels over the last years, but those broke due to bad wheel bearings.. )

Brad_91

I ended up putting some "stage one" axles. I only really did that because they are guaranteed for life by the company and it was $100 more for the 2 front axles. The CV boots look significantly larger than they were although I can't tell you exactly what has been changed :p. The guarantee is what I'm happy to have.
Thanks everyone!