Sloppy Shifter

Lets talk clutches and everything drivetrain related

Sloppy Shifter

Postby pokemeintheeye » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:21 am

I've got a lot of slop in my shifter. What have you guys done to get rid of all the slop? I just installed all the bushing that Speed Source supplies. Didn't notice any difference at all compared to what it was.

When I have the shifter in gear I'd say there's about an inch of play when I move it side to side. I don't know whats normal on these All-tracs but on my 1 gen Celica there is nearly no play at all.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
pokemeintheeye
Club Member

Re: Sloppy Shifter

Postby not12listen » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:52 am

i bought the shifter bushing kit from ChicoRaceWorks. the difference was impressive! much tighter, a LOT less slop, cleaner and easier shifting!

there is almost zero excess motion when it get, and even when not in gear, moving through the gears feels solid and accurate.

just fyi - i have used the solid brass shifter bushings in the past.

honestly, i would buy the kit from CRW any day of the week!
Independent AMSOil Dealer
www.jandsautoworks.net
not12listen
Club Member

Postby pokemeintheeye » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:23 pm

I looked throughout their website and I couldn't find where they have their bushings forsale. The only thing I could find was pictures of how a good and bad bushing looks like.
pokemeintheeye
Club Member

Postby not12listen » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:09 pm

i would strongly recommend contacting Josh directly, either email or call the shop.

if you call, do not call before Noon (Pacific Time). :)

i'll bug him about putting photos up on his site for these bushings.

also, there is a 'needle/roller' bearing that replaces the worn out graphite 'square.' i'll take some photos of what i have done, to give you an idea of where the parts go and how to install them, etc.
www.jandsautoworks.net
not12listen
Club Member

Postby pokemeintheeye » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:28 am

I found the Toyota part number to that little cube bushing. That would be my next thing to replace. So CRW has an aftermarket upgrade replacement?
pokemeintheeye
Club Member

Postby not12listen » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:44 am

yup. he has upgrades for both parts.
www.jandsautoworks.net
not12listen
Club Member

Postby woot woot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:10 am

I have the same issue, i installed a c's short shifter and made a world of difference. Almost no slop and much firmer in feel. Would highly recommend it
woot woot
Club Member

Postby Ironchief » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:44 pm

I'm having the same problem with sloppiness but just ordered the speed source bushing kit for my 90 all trac. Has anyone had any experience with these on their car?
1990 CDM All Trac
Ironchief
Club Member

Postby not12listen » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:38 am

Ironchief wrote:I'm having the same problem with sloppiness but just ordered the speed source bushing kit for my 90 all trac. Has anyone had any experience with these on their car?

well, honestly it seems a bit odd to order something to resolve a problem, then ask about it...

the speed source shifter does remove the slop, but due to its design (lack of movement) will wear over time and cause the shifter to be a bit tougher to shift between gears overall.
www.jandsautoworks.net
not12listen
Club Member

Postby not12listen » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:10 pm

my apologies for not including this in my latest reply:
my wife's AW11 use to have the Speed Source solid brass shifter bushings.

after a fair amount of phone yapping with Josh at ChicoRaceWorks, i decided to purchase his kit. i did the install myself and i also daily drive my wife's AW11 currently. so, i've felt the factory bushings (on my AW11), Speed Source solid brass bushings and the CRW spherical shifter bushings.

the factory bushings have the easiest gear engagement, but also have the most amount of slop and (marginally) the longest shifter throw.
the Speed Source brass bushings have the toughest engagement, solid engagement and near identical shifter throw compared to the CRW bushings.
the CRW bushings have smooth engagement, solid engagement and near identical shifter throw to the SS bushings.

the reason for the engagement being so considerably different between the SS and CRW bushings is very simple (i'll post pix later to help demonstrate the point).

the SS bushings are flat brass. the nature of the shifter assembly is to move in very specific directions, but rare is that motion (on the side of the transmission) at a 100% flat axis (ie. there is slight wiggle).

the CRW bushings are multi-part. the outer portion of the bushing is flat, to mate properly with the shift cable. the inner portion of the bushing is like a suspension endlink in that is can pivot - this allows for the bushing to articulate to the 'wiggle' that happens when you select another gear.

below is a generic picture of the type of device that the CRW bushing is - it is NOT a picture of the actual bushing.

so... i hope this helps to demonstrate the difference between the products that are for sale.

if it were my money, i would buy the CRW bushings over the SS bushings. i am not saying that the SS bushings are bad (they ARE an upgrade over stock worn out bushings), they're just not what i am looking for.

----

oh yeah. i also bought a kit for my wife's AllTrac Camry and my AW11.
www.jandsautoworks.net
not12listen
Club Member

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:02 pm

What is the price on this?
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby not12listen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Hotrodhendrix wrote:What is the price on this?

i do believe it is $40 shipped for both shifter bushings.

there is also a needle bearing for $15 that helps with smoother shifting too. below is a photo of a needle bearing.

and yes, i bought and installed this too. it replaces a square of graphite.

www.jandsautoworks.net
not12listen
Club Member

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Looks like I have one more thing to add to my list. :twisted:
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby Flying Bajan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Forgine my ignorance, but how does that needle bearing replace the cube ?
Flying Bajan
Club Member

Postby not12listen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:56 am

Flying Bajan wrote:Forgine my ignorance, but how does that needle bearing replace the cube ?

in mechanical/physical terms, you just remove the cube... grease up the needle bearing and put it where the cube was. then bolt the shifter assembly back together as normal.

in actual usage - the cube rotates on 1 round surface, is sandwiched between 2 flat surfaces - and is constantly on a dry surface.

the needle bearing, is the 'middle man' between the up/down gear selector and the side/side selector - and is a true rotating assembly.

the overall point of it is to make the gear selection smoother.

did i feel a world of difference with the needle bearing? no. did it feel smoother, yes.

to really dumb it down (with no insult implied): dry surface + moving parts = friction.

could you just grease up the cube? sure. will you get the same ease of shifting? i do not believe so.

just to be 100% clear - i upgraded the shifter bushings AND the needle bearing at the same time. but, also, both items (while in the same vicinity) have and serve difference tasks.
www.jandsautoworks.net
not12listen
Club Member

Next

Return to Drivetrain Central