Toyota Training Video: Center Differentials

YerRandO

Original Toyota Canada training video for the introduction of the Celica and Camry "Full Time 4WD Manual Transaxle". Shows exactly how both the mechanical and viscous controlled center differentials work.

I copied this old VHS training video a few years ago while I was in school, they still use it to demonstrate viscous operation. Sorry it took so long to post it up, Enjoy

Part 1:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... =diff1.mp4

Part 2:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... =Diff2.mp4

Part 3:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ ... =diff3.mp4

AFCor

I swear all those old technical videos used the same music. Takes me back, though.

Thanks for posting it!

athousandleaves

Wow!

These were fantastic, the music was so perfect!

I feel like taking my camry out and plowing through some snow now! :lol:

I wonder if I can retain the locking diff in it when I swap the engine...

801Alltrac

:shock: o so clean tracs where can I get the locking diff button and the indicator light that is awesome , guessing it only comes on the real GTFour fers lol I could o used it to get unstuck a year or two ago . Very sweet vids thx

MWP

801Alltrac":erbwth5z said:
where can I get the locking diff button and the indicator light that is awesome , guessing it only comes on the real GTFour fers lol

What??? :twisted:

The early 165's had the electric button operated locking centre.
All later AllTracs/GT4s had the viscous centre.

For 99% of us, the viscous centre is better.

801Alltrac

MWP":3d0v0lfj said:
801Alltrac":3d0v0lfj said:
where can I get the locking diff button and the indicator light that is awesome , guessing it only comes on the real GTFour fers lol

What??? :twisted:

The early 165's had the electric button operated locking centre.
All later AllTracs/GT4s had the viscous centre.

For 99% of us, the viscous centre is better.

:D thx man I like the idea

athousandleaves

The locker in my camry definitely made the car feel more rear biased than my celica and I've heard that when completing the refresh of the viscous coupling fluid you get the same feeling.

Also, I think the really early 165's had a small lever that you pulled to engage the lock and later ones got a switch like this one:
165 diff lock switch.jpg

The switch + light thing you see in the video is more like what the corolla and camry received.

-Edit-

Also I don't know why in the video they tell you to drive with the light off and diff in "Free" mode, in the manual to my camry it says otherwise.

This system changes the center differential to the AUTO mode or the FREE mode by operating the control button.
If the front wheels and rear wheels are worn unevenly, the center differential control system does not function properly.
AUTO mode:
Use this mode in normal driving. The center differential is controlled automatically and the optimum driving condition can be obtained.
In this mode, the indicator light is on.
In case the indicator light either fails to come on or go out after pushing the "AUTO" button, ask your Toyota dealer to check the control system.
FREE mode:
Use this mode only when your vehicle needs to be towed or when the compact spare tire is insalled on your vehicle.
In this mode, the indicator light is off.

Maybe the camry has an automatic locker and it measures slip while driving and locks up when its detected where as the 165's had a true lock. :shrug:

-Edit-
Figured out what system the camry/automatics got here: viewtopic.php?p=426279#p426279

bboywaste

all the good ones are on the west coast and im on the east coast... if there was one within a couple hour drive that was in my budget i would check it out in a heartbeat.. alot of people also havent gotten back to me