state of my tranny

Lets talk clutches and everything drivetrain related

state of my tranny

Postby skado » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:35 pm

I've got a 90 corolla Trac sedan. The other day I was driving to work. While driving my rpm suddenly pinged, i put it in neutral and rolled to the stop light. Then I went to put it into gear and had no gears. I was like.... there goes my tranny. I decided to give the awd a try. Turned the all trac on, the rear locked up and I was able to get the car to work. I was able to shift to third( didn't try any more). When I got to work i noticed that the driver side axle was hanging down a bit. It was still in the tranny, but not sitting how it should. So im curious if anyone has experienced this type of issue, and if so what it means. Complete tranny rebuild or what. Thanks for any info or feedback.

Ps. Can someone tell me how to upload photos to the gallery... thanks again.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
skado

Re: state of my tranny

Postby Landon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:43 pm

I'm assuming that yours is fwd until you switch it to awd? it kinda sounds like your front axle poped out which would cause basically no go until you send power to the rear as well. Pics would help, I post through photobucket.com
White 1995 BMW M3
Black '90 st185 Sold :(
Landon
Established Member

Postby skado » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Can they just pop out like that... well try to get photos up soon. I recently replaced both drive axles, but have had a rough rotating sound for awhile.
skado

Postby Landon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Yes they can. Not likely, but the c-clip that holds them in could have popped out or they could have never been in all the way to begin with. If there was a rough sound, that would definitely be a possibility. It sounds to me like it just worked its way out of the splines. I wouldn't think tranny rebuild quite yet.
White 1995 BMW M3
Black '90 st185 Sold :(
Landon
Established Member

Return to Drivetrain Central