Front LSD - TorSen type for Celica GT4

kevzep

Toyota1968":3vwpalz2 said:
hi BNZ ... do you have details for the guy who can refresh the oil in a vc ?

The problem with a viscous is that no matter what fluid it is, you are relying on the viscosity of the fluid for the drive, so if you are rallying like we are, and really stressing the drive train, VC's are next to useless. You will always, no matter what have some kind of slip to the rear, it just varies from a bit, to quite a lot. They also take time to lock up, and as they get hot the performance diminishes, and eventually the oil burns up and doesnt work as well any more.
I locked my centre, and immediately I was a LOT quicker on my stage times, the car felt more balanced and easier to control, more predictable and consistent. You just have to be aggressive with it and its all good.
I even drive on tarmac with the locked centre and its fine, just no HB turns, but really who cares, look at the footage of the Quattros and 205 Pugs back in the Group B days, they weren't exactly slow, but they had locked centres..
Although I can't do handbrake turns, it doesn't worry me, because the loss there is not as much as the VC slipping.

Look back to the Group A ST165, they so obviously ran locked centres, they never did handbrake turns, and the general handing and attitude of the car suggests locked.
It wasn't until the St185 you could see they were running a more sophisticated centre system.

In my experience and opinion, for race and rally, a VC is a waste of time.

BUT, as there are extremely limited options (haha excuse the pun), one has to do what one can do.....

Toyota1968

Thanks Underscore.

Thanks Kevzep, I think you have made your point about the benefit of locked centre diff for gravel rallying at this stage..... As you say in the early days of 4wd it was preferable to open diff .....as time moved on and for tarmac more sophisticated solutions evolved.....

kevzep

Toyota1968":3lmopnor said:
Thanks Underscore.

Thanks Kevzep, I think you have made your point about the benefit of locked centre diff for gravel rallying at this stage..... As you say in the early days of 4wd it was preferable to open diff .....as time moved on and for tarmac more sophisticated solutions evolved.....

The best solution is finding the TRD front/centre LSD package.....wouldn't that be nice!!

BNZ

I am successfully racing it to the limits...tested on asphalt and gravel, no problems yet whatsoever
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446055143.726567.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446055181.289062.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446055249.088500.jpg

When i have time i think i will open my spare gearbox and send another diff to be manufactured just to have as spare and maybe to shorten the delivery period. And for sure i will do another one for myself as it's a totally different car with that self-locking front diff.

kevzep

Would it not make sense to get a few diffs made at the same time? Do a bulk buy?
I know a few people here in NZ that want them too, if we get enough perhaps they will be a bit cheaper?

Do you think they would be interested in making a helical set to replace the Viscous centre coupling?

By the way, your car looks good!! Looks like you are having fun.....

Smejdzioch PL

I am interested in LSD forward. I write latency ? how much money? does it matter that they sent parts or from st185 or ST205 . or to one another match then ?

BNZ

Guys, good news and bad news.

Group Buy discount (min. 5 parts) : 10%
Waiting time : a lot (like 4-5 months)

kevzep

BNZ":3qdlo6h7 said:
Guys, good news and bad news.

Group Buy discount (min. 5 parts) : 10%
Waiting time : a lot (like 4-5 months)

Thats sounds good to me....I will see if I can get some more guys interested here and make contact once we know how many we want...

underscore

I might be able to do that, is that with us sending in a core or is that an all new unit that we can swap in at our leisure?

BNZ

Organize yourself guys however you want.
Just don't overflow me/us with to much orders as the thime is even so big enough :)

alltracman78

I'm in on this.
I just want to get a couple of things clarified, so everyone is on the same page.

Are we going through you? Or the shop? Who are we paying? You or the shop?
Paypal? Credit Card?
Price is "900 Pounds / 1270 Euro / 1370 USD" with a minimum 5 orders.
We have to send in a core front diff? Shipped to where?
No center diff?
And the wait time is 4-5 months minimum? Maybe longer?

BNZ

Yes, trough me
You can pay via paypal and i don't require the full amount in advance, minimum 50% will be enough than the rest when the parts are finished.
The price described above and also in the first post is for 1 (one) part. For a group buy of minimum 5 de discount is 10% => 810 Pounds
As described in the firs post you have to send the front differential in order to be moddified (see pictures)

Shipping destination is Romania / Europe

No center diff

Wait time is correct...saddly for us or lucky for them, there are a lot of orders (staight cut syncros, differentials, etc.) and there is a lot of planned work alreaddy

alltracman78

Ok.

Looking at the pictures in the first post they need the whole diff case? With the front and center diff inside it?
And how is the return shipping paid?