Front LSD - TorSen type for Celica GT4

BNZ

Finally got mine and prior installing it in the gearbox i split it open to take some pictures.

It's a TorSen (principle) type self locking diff manufactured and retrofitted to the GT4's front differential. It was a pain in the ass to design and fit due to the small diff case but the guys at the local shop done it.

If someone wants this upgrade it costs 900 GBP and a stock diff to be modified.

Attachments

• IMG_3101.JPG
    IMG_3101.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 7,896
  • IMG_3098.JPG
    IMG_3098.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 7,896
  • IMG_3097.JPG
    IMG_3097.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 7,896

BNZ

i think i can work-out a group-buy price (will talk with the guys next week) and it will be better for US/Canada guys due to the combined shipping costs
Take in consideration (for the shipping) that i am overseas in Europe (home of TTE :p) and also the manufacturing will take some time (payment will be done after the LSD is done)

CMS-GT4

I am very interested. I just have to raise the funds. I am hoping they still make tees by then.

athousandleaves

I feel that before a group buy can be confidently started we need someone with a high power car (600-800hp) to do some serious testing.
Can you tell us what car the LSD unit comes from so we can get an idea of the power raiting of the part outside of the Celica?

BNZ

It's build from 0 not "fitted in" from another car (which i don't think is even possible).

Regarding of how much torque it can withstand, i can't give you a nr.
In my case i am sure my 300 hp upper limit the rally car will do it's not much for the diff. I already did my front Torsen for my Renault GTE Turbo, it took a lot of beating and still running strong with no issues, never asked them about HP rating tough...

BADNEWS

I'll buy one and test it this spring!!! Can you get it to me in a couple months? My trans is apart right now so this will go together fast!

athousandleaves

BADNEW5":339mvq1g said:
I'll buy one and test it this spring!!! Can you get it to me in a couple months? My trans is apart right now so this will go together fast!

Awesome!!! Thank you Ryan!!!

Just saw your YouTube videos of your front diff... WTF happened?! Too much action from the upgraded VC???

Sorry about the confusion BNZ, I was a little excited when I first read it and thought you were saying it came from another car and was modified to fit.

Can you maybe tell us some of the metals they chose to make the diff?

BADNEWS

That was my center diff I destroyed!!!! Front diff was perfectly fine. I think the center diff was a freak thing cause I never even launched the car yet. All I would do is speed/flat shift. If I break a center diff again I have an idea how to weld it like DSM's do.

BNZ

I reckon it will take about one month to manufacture it (mine took longer but i told them i was in no rush).

Regarding materials, i did not asked, being a gearbox specialized service and a lot of rally guys doing gearbox maintenance here, me inclusive (using another diff made here on my other car).
I know you all may want reassuring of a quality product, but untill tested properly i can't give exact ratings. Nevertheless i will do my part of heavy testing: tarmac, gravel, snow and a bunch of donuts/handbrake turns ! (can't wait to fit it to my short-ratio gearbox and do the Mario center diff mood :D )

alltracman78

Was that 900 GBP shipped? Or just for the machining?
Pretty sad no one over here would bother...
Definitely interested. I'm in the process of buying a truck, but I'll do my best to jump on this.

BADNEWS

Can you get a photo of the other side of the diff. Where the housing is the side gear of the center diff? Also maybe the side of the housing? It looks like there are counter sunk bolt holes in the side?

New Guy

Man, I should've kicked the ratcheting locker idea out there sooner. This popped up pretty damn quick after that came out.

BNZ

BADNEWS5 i don't quite understod what exactly you want pictured but on the outher housing or the center diff gears there are no modifications to it

Alltracman78 Shipping price is not included in the price above that's why a group buy/group shipping may be a good ideea for folks living near to eachother

Attachments

• IMG_2916.JPG
    IMG_2916.JPG
    350.6 KB · Views: 2,267

BADNEWS

Close. This side but of just the front diff. That is with it all assembled again.

Here is a example pic that would be perfect

frontdiff_zpsf64c6942.jpg

athousandleaves

New Guy":3t7qqbcb said:
Man, I should've kicked the ratcheting locker idea out there sooner. This popped up pretty damn quick after that came out.

A ratcheting locker wouldn't be useful in a performance application for driving on a track or in a rallye as they put 100% torque to the wheel on the INSIDE of a turn while the OUTSIDE wheel is allowed to slip until its able to lock again.

For the alltrac its either clutch or TorSen if you want to be competitive.