E153 vs E154F transmission

BlackKnight

What's the difference in these two? Can I use the transfercase from the E154F on the E153?. I'm trying to do some research to making my tC AWD. Input is appreciated. I'm working on getting sponsors to help on this project but need to get facts together first. Thanks

Tecker185

You would need to swap the diff out of the e154f into the e153 before you could make use of the transfercase. Its been done before but in reverse when people have a awd tranny and are swappping into a fwd car. Theres a write up somwhere i think.

phattyduck

I have done the reverse (E154F to E153 with a KAAZ LSD) - Just use a complete E154F... it is cheaper to buy a complete one than the labor to change an E153 to an E154F.

You will essentially need a complete E154F (transfer case, front/center diff assembly, etc) to do it and it requires the transmission to be completely disassembled to do the change. Why not keep the stock trans complete?

You'll also have the fun of making sure your steering rack and engine subframe clears the rear output, along with the engine itself. Would you be going to a 3s-gte or stay with the 2az-fe? Nothing is impossible, but this project is not easy, by any means...

-Charlie

phattyduck

BlackKnight":2psx2gb8 said:
Is the diffential same except ring gear?
Yes I'd be keeping my engine.
The ring gear is the only thing that is the same. The E154F has both the front and center differentials in the same space that the E153 has its single differential. The transfer case section that bolts on has the transfer gear (hypoid gear) and center viscous coupling unit, but no differential. This explains it fairly well:

transfer1.gif

Changing out the diff on an E-series transmission requires complete disassembly of the transmission - thus my suggestion of of just buying the transmission you want to use. The ST205 transmission already has all the upgraded syncros, etc.

I'll say it again though - the transmission is the EASIEST part of what you are trying to do.

-Charlie

TheNubkins

Define serious power? These transmissions hold up quite well to power increases. It's usually hard, high RPM launching that breaks parts, and from what I've read it's not usually the transmission but the four driveshafts leading to the axle hubs. I don't track my car on a drag strip so I seldom launch and as such haven't had any issues. My two cents...

TheNubkins

There aren't many members that are pushing that kind of power at the wheels. If I recall, the ones that are, may still be using ST185/205 transmissions. I haven't heard much about them wrecking the units. Keep in mind, anything will break if you abuse it too much, and launching the car hard from a dead stop is a form of abuse in the sense that these components were not meant to handle hard launching, especially with anything close to that level of power. They still seem to hold up fine though, but for how long and how many hard launches...I couldn't tell you. If you really want to know specifics I'd ask alltrac101. I'm quite sure if anyone has found a weakness in the drivetrain, it would be him. My car is small fries compared to what his is in regards to peak power. Good luck with the project!

BlackKnight

Thanks. I'm working on mine still. The factory transmission in my car broke when I was going down the highway at 90 miles and hour and stomping on the gas. Just heat and weak gears