Q: How much power stock drivetrain can handle?

lordvampire

HI

How much power stock RC/ST205JDM drivetrain can handle?

I am currently running ST185RC/ ST205JDM swap engine 1,1bar ca 300hp. Its great. But its not where I want to be.
I really need to be close to 430-500hp. So I am thinking to put toghether new 2,4 stroker engine. I dont know to what car, To get reliable minimum lag fast car, that is to drive track days and weekends. I dont know if I do it on ST185RC, St205 or sorry to say EVO5. Evo-s have solid engine block, but tranny-s gear teeth-s go often when water or slippery road goes to tarmac. (to recover my treason, I say I would prefer ST185 :)
Whats RC or ST205 weakest points? And on what torque/kw weak point appear? :)

BR, Andres

zaluss

lordvampire":37ko952g said:
HI

How much power stock RC/ST205JDM drivetrain can handle?

I am currently running ST185RC/ ST205JDM swap engine 1,1bar ca 300hp. Its great. But its not where I want to be.
I really need to be close to 430-500hp. So I am thinking to put toghether new 2,4 stroker engine. I dont know to what car, To get reliable minimum lag fast car, that is to drive track days and weekends. I dont know if I do it on ST185RC, St205 or sorry to say EVO5. Evo-s have solid engine block, but tranny-s gear teeth-s go often when water or slippery road goes to tarmac. (to recover my treason, I say I would prefer ST185 :)
Whats RC or ST205 weakest points? And on what torque/kw weak point appear? :)

BR, Andres

I don't know the answers to your questions but here is an ST205 running 600whp.

http://www.6gc.net/celicas/1994-gt-4-hatchback-2022

underscore

Several guys on here have pushed their cars to the 800+ crank HP mark, I'd read through their build threads and see at what points they started having problems. I know BADNEW5 has had issues with breaking parts so take a look through his build and see where he started running into problems.

That said I believe our cars have one of the stronger AWD drivetrains out there, at least for their era.

From what I have read I have to agree for the era it had a pretty stout drivetrain. I know BADNEW5 was have trouble with the rear diff. Not sure what else, that's just what comes to mind right now.

aus jd 2703

depends how well maintained the car is and how hard you drive it.
if you launch it with high grip tyres at a drag strip you can start breaking cv's at stock to around 300awhp.
with age the syncro go but really a maintained gear box should cope with 600ish rebuilding it bi annually.
rear diffs with launches generally let go even on stock power is possible but generally around 260kw it becomes a time bomb.

clutch goes at stock power.
centre drive shafts have been broken with 800hp (fensport)
never launch the car and ull be fine but start drag racing and doing 5k rpm launches and things start breaking